Using Straw Bales as Wind Break?

Daisy8s

Songster
8 Years
Sep 12, 2011
Central Michigan
Heading into winter I'd like to set up an informal wind break in the run. I'm thinking of an L shape of straw bales stacked about two bales high to block wind from the north and northwest. I'd like to use straw bales since they're what I already have on hand. Is there any reason not to use them? I can't think of a cheaper product that is easier to "build" with.

Not at all good idea of using what you have, I like the idea. Just a hint stack them as you would bricks, in a staggered fashion it will make it stronger and maybe string a wire around the top layer fastened to something to keep it strong.

Oh, good idea to stack them like bricks. But...how to find a half bale to start the first row??
wink.png

Annie's Backyard Flock :

Try to re-tie BEFORE you cut the rope. Easier to keep together.

That'd be tricky given how tightly a straw bale is bound. Maybe if I cut only one of the twine ties first, then I could get in there to divide in half and bind each half. Hmm, this is starting to sound like some work.... I just wanted to throw some bales in the yard and be done with it!​

If your gonna wrap around two sides. You can let the extra half extend past side. and used that to start your stagger on the next side. Did I confuse you? lol

Back
Top Bottom