Using Straw Bales as Wind Break?

As someone that has done this along one side, a bit of advice. They get very heavy and rot over the winter. Move them quickly in the spring to the compost. Don't leave them or it will not be pretty.

Rather than cutting and trying to re-tie just turn the first bale in the line 90 degrees to the rest of the bales so that the butt end of the first bale forms the half piece

I use straw bales to make an igloo for my goats for winter..... Well make it two bales high and cover the top with a couple of sheets of plywood. They love it. They do rot but thats what compost heaps are for. I live in an area where the wind is pretty strong in winter time but we dont have very high humiditity.

I wouldn't worry about making a half bale. I'd just let the bottom course stick out.... the chickens will use it.... Oh and those strings will rot for sure and it doesn't take long if they are exposed to the sun. You can reinforce with some actual wire.... Two strands per bale would work... Tie em loose with a good twist on the bottom side Flip over then use a stake to stick in and tighten on the top side This makes a loop but will chinch the bale up good, you can flatten the loop down and poke it into the hay. A must if and when you need to take the whole thing down. Use a mask because the bottom ones may be moldy. Even here in the desert.

If you want to keep them from rotting, lay down a tarp or some plastic to set the first row on, and then wrap it over the rest after they are stacked, and tuck it underneath

Great suggestions, everyone. I appreciate it.

Yes, I figured they would rot on the bottom and the strings might break, but this is a very temporary windbreak (Nov to March probably) during a Michigan winter so they'll be too cold for most of that time to start serious decay. I might use the tarp underneath this first year I try it, though, to see if that helps a lot.

I just stuffed some pallets full of straw, and set them up around the run, then covered the run wi/ tarp.....
smile.png

If I was stacking them higher, I'd think the "brick" method would be good, but with just two high, why make it complicated.....

I put tarps around my run to keep the snow from drifting in there, and then I also use hay to help keep them in place and also as a wind break as you mention.

Ohio weather gets very cold, windy, and the snow can get so darned deep! It's CRAZY! LOL I zip my run up pretty tight (it has a roof on it), and then I hang a heat lamp in there, suspended from the roof, a few feet above the water bucket. That helps keep the water from freezing so quickly.

I think you've got a great idea, plus if you've got the straw, hey that saves you money.

Back
Top Bottom