using syringe to drain slow/sour crop?

Do you provide grit for your chicks?
I would, just sprinkle a little in their brooder, they will take a piece or two.

For this chick since you are not sure if the crop is emptying or not. I would give her 1/2 tsp of coconut oil twice a day. Put the oil in the fridge to harden it, then break into little chunks and let her eat it. Lightly massage the crop after she eats the coconut oil.
See that she's drinking well and watch to see if she's pooping ok. The oil may make her poop a little looser but that's ok. Let's see if this helps to get things moving.

good news so far! the crop has finally gone down all the way. i’ve been intermittently fasting her by placing her in the corralled section, and giving her a little pearl of the miconazole cream twice a day. i haven’t been able to go to the grocery store for mineral and coconut oil yet but i’m hoping to go tomorrow. i want to have some on hand in case it starts coming back.

it definitely felt less and less liquidy the last day and a half, it felt firm and malleable last night, and no gurgling, so i think there was indeed some yeast involved. I’m going to continue the miconazole for the full 7 days as per the recommendation of the article.

i was worried the unpredictable separation from resources and cuddles would make her gorge herself when they were available but that luckily doesn’t seem to be the case so far. I’m hoping to not have to separate her again because i worry too much of it will create that type of mindset.

good news so far! the crop has finally gone down all the way. i’ve been intermittently fasting her by placing her in the corralled section, and giving her a little pearl of the miconazole cream twice a day. i haven’t been able to go to the grocery store for mineral and coconut oil yet but i’m hoping to go tomorrow. i want to have some on hand in case it starts coming back.

it definitely felt less and less liquidy the last day and a half, it felt firm and malleable last night, and no gurgling, so i think there was indeed some yeast involved. I’m going to continue the miconazole for the full 7 days as per the recommendation of the article.

i was worried the unpredictable separation from resources and cuddles would make her gorge herself when they were available but that luckily doesn’t seem to be the case so far. I’m hoping to not have to separate her again because i worry too much of it will create that type of mindset.
This is good news!
I agree with you, I would continue the Miconazole for the full 7 days.
I'm hoping she's on her way to making a full recovery.
You're doing good! Keep us posted.

Update 2: she's continuing to do well, her crop gets a bit fuller than the other chicks and feels a bit odd, (kind of stretched out, almost?) but I imagine that probably has something to do with how massive it got. It fully empties now and there are no more sour crop symptoms. I finish the Miconazole regimen tonight. Thanks again for the help everyone!

Thank you for the update!
I'm glad to hear she's doing well and that her crop is emptying.
Some chicks can be little piggies.
She may be one that you will need to check/monitor all her life to see that her crop is emptying. As she grows up, you'll be able to easily tell by just a touch or even by looking at her if it is, if you take the time to observe her daily.

Back
Top Bottom