Using tarp over run for rain/snow?

The corregated PVC roofing is very strong and sheds water and snow very well. We used drywall screws to attach it to the roof, which is constructed of 2x4s and plywood. We bought the sheets at Menards, a local home improvement store. They are overlapped by several inches and the slope drains off the back. It comes in several colors, but we chose white to keep it cooler in the summer.

Last edited:
Hi all! I'm new to chickens. Just doing all my research for the moment. But, I had to comment on this. We had issues with tarps for our RV, and found this idea...if anyone is interested in inexpensive tarps that don't disintegrate. Www.billboardTarps.com. They are old billboards. They are uv resistant, thick, and awesome. But....you never know what you're going to get on the reverse of your tarp. We got a white one, and the reverse has an ad for a bank in Florida with the flag on it. Not bad. We just put that side down, and the plain side up. Just a thought for any who want to use tarps. :)

Always wondered what they did with old billboards. Great way to reuse good materials. Checked out the website and have some good prices. Quality tarps are expensive at home stores.

here is an idea for a cheap run (or grow pen is what I use it for) using a tarp for the top. the tarp size is 10x10, the overall run is 8x8 mine is 2 feet high but you can make it taller. I then add 2 - 1 foot blocks straight up in the center, and hook another 2x4 to the top to form a rail that makes a peak. im not a graphic artist but I drew some pictures in paint to try to help you along. when building one like this, they must be pretty close to level, and use a medium or heavy duty tarp. canvas is best but rather expensive. but another way to think about it, a canvas tarp should last for 5-7 years, so you can divide its cost by lets say 10. as you would probably go through 10 light duty tarps in that same period.

additional note. the tarp in the last pic im showing is not recommended I had to put one of these together fast a couple weeks ago and worked with what I had here. it was only an 8x10 tarp and that is why I have the osb on the end.

places like menards, lowes or home depot have grommet kits for tarps. add an extra grommet between the existing ones. this will make your tarp pull tighter and last longer. I usually nail one length and use heavy bungies to hold the other. I nail down one end, and bungie the other. in this 2 foot tall run the roof is the access.

these stand up through snow and rain pretty well if done right.

Back
Top Bottom