Using the nesting boxes and roost

fuzzy5chicks

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 7, 2013
MI
I have six hens who have been laying now for over a month. They NEVER lay in their boxes. They don't seen to care that much about where they lay. One laid an egg right in the middle of our yard while they were free ranging. They do, however, prefer to lay in the corner where the water is. Their laying boxes are about 2 ft off the ground. I also installed their roost which is maybe a little over 4 ft high. They have more than enough space on there but aren't using it. How do I get them to start using them?

Make sure they are conforatble. Put fake eggs in so the hens know that is where the eggs belong. Hang curtains or put the nests in a isolated and dim place. Make sure there is plenty of comfy bedding. Check and make sure there is nothing wrong with the nests too. There shouldn't be any lose screws, jagged wire, nails, parasites, etc in the nests. You will also have to confine your hens to the coop until they get the hang of where to lay. Hope this helps.

Thank you Mountain Peeps. I use the gray plastic nesting boxes, so there isn't room for a curtain without blocking the hole for the nesting box. I'll try moving the boxes to their favorite corner- maybe lowering them so they can't lay beneath the boxes. I've tried using Easter eggs (resembling baseballs)- Ill try using real eggs instead. Thank you for the tips! Very helpful

Back
Top Bottom