Using the Roosting Bar - Either I'm Confused or They Are???

buffmommy69

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 3, 2015
Gloucester, Virginia
Hello everyone,
I am new to chicken keeping as of this spring. We have 7 very spoiled girls who live in what my friends call the Coop Mahal. They are 16 weeks old and I want to open the nesting boxes to get them ready for laying. But there's a problem, or at least in my mind it's a problem. All of the girls sleep huddled in a corner at night with one (typically someone different every night) sleeping in the doorway as what I call 'the lookout'. I'm afraid if I open the boxes that they will never use the roosting bars. What should I do???
Stressed Out OCD Mama

There may be is a reason they won't roost, other than their age, although it's possible they just haven't learned how. You may be able to get them to roost simply by setting them on the roost each night just before good dark. It's possible they are cooler in their corner and the coop needs a summer breeze added. You say "bar," but chickens are more comfortable on a wide or flat surface as their toes dont really curl around a narrow bar in the way most other birds' do. Thw side side of a 2x4 or a good fat branch are good roosts.

I am having the same issue mostly just with my hen raised chicks. They ALL want to roost in the boxes-they are from three different clutches. Only my human brooded birds will roost consistently on the roost...I had to resorted to making a cover for the boxes that I close after about 4pm so that they can lay their eggs there but not roost there. It has not broken the habit, but it at least keeps the eggs/nest clean. Heaven forbid if I forget or the kids collect the eggs...open to other suggestions!!

Are the roosting bars the same height as the nest boxes or higher? Large breeds like most of the dual purpose ones like wide roosts, at least 3 inches wide. If your roosts aren't wide enough or high enough, they won't use them.

They need about 8" between the roost and the wall, too. I can't tell how much space is there.

Another thought is, check the bottom of the roost bars for lice/mites. There is one of these critters that stays there during they day and gets on the birds at night.

It's rather odd that they would get down off a roost after dark -- chickens can barely see in the dark and are notinclined to move around.

Back
Top Bottom