Using this as a brooder.

I’ll be using this as a waterer: View attachment 2554401View attachment 2554402
Mine actually has several attachments including horizontal nipple, vertical nipple, and water tray, but I think I’ll use the cup.

It’s a lifesaver, because I can fill it up much easier than one of the UFO waterers.
This should work fine for chicks but if you intend to brood ducks then you need a waterer deep enough for them to dunk their head. They need to be able to rinse their nostrils out and wash gunk off their eyes. Their water and the space around it gets yucky every day and needs changing. Putting a water pan under the waterer does help but I wouldn't feel comfortable with this brooder in the house over hardwood floors or carpet.

I've bought one of these before, the main problem with them is you have to screw the cup on through the wires in the cage, so if you ever have to empty the water for any reason you need to unscrew the cup and it dumps 100% of the water onto the ground 100% of the time.
Ok, thanks. I won’t have a cage nor will I have wires, I’ll be setting it up on something else, and obviously I could just put a cup underneath to stop spills.

This should work fine for chicks but if you intend to brood ducks then you need a waterer deep enough for them to dunk their head. They need to be able to rinse their nostrils out and wash gunk off their eyes. Their water and the space around it gets yucky every day and needs changing. Putting a water pan under the waterer does help but I wouldn't feel comfortable with this brooder in the house over hardwood floors or carpet.
I realize that, I meant to say I’ll use the cup at FIRST. My initial plan is to start with the cup the first couple days, and then switch to the try waterer, which is much larger and deeper, and meant for rodents I suppose.

Do you plan on brooding more birds in the near(ish) future? If you do, this is a perfect idea! If not, it might just take up space and money and you might be better off brooding in the coop. Good luck! I love this idea so much, but I don't brood enough birds for it to be useful. Instead I have a small 3x4 space in my coop to brood in.
I definitely do. I’ve brooded 4 batches so far, this is my fifth. I’m adding to both my chicken and duck flocks next year or the year after and hatching some chicks this summer. So yeah it would probably get lots of use.

Back
Top Bottom