Using this as a coop... conversion?

I would try to find a shed that has roof overhangs and soffits....
...and real rafters that can be extended.

Pretty difficult with most prebuilt sheds/kits from big box stores. Most of them look very similar, with no real overhangs to speak of.

I guess the idea of matching my shed to my house has never occurred to me. 🤷‍♀️

I think of a shed as a utility building rather than a decorative thing. :D

(mumbles) I matched my shed to my car... Plan on matching the house to the shed in the future too, whenever it needs repainting (it's currently beige, ughh).

I’m staring to doubt this is a good idea. It was only a thought at first though. Curious, are there any coop companies that are especially well priced and good quality?
We are still in the planning stages but originally I wanted to buy a coop because my husband was not keen on helping me build one. But the ones that were a decent size and soundly built are crazy expensive. So we are building one after all.

I would try to find a shed that has roof overhangs and soffits....
...and real rafters that can be extended.

@aart
How much roof overhangs will an 8ft tall wall need? We will need to construct a roof for an 8x8x8 cube run. How far out should the overhang be to keep the rain/snow out if the walls are only covered with chicken wire and hardware cloth?

Thanks!

@aart
How much roof overhangs will an 8ft tall wall need? We will need to construct a roof for an 8x8x8 cube run. How far out should the overhang be to keep the rain/snow out if the walls are only covered with chicken wire and hardware cloth?

Thanks!
The main reason for big roof overhangs is to have soffit ventilation.
Top hinged windows will keep most rain from coming in thru windows.

There's no way to estimate eave depth to deter rain infiltration thru/on the wall,
depends on how the wind blows.
Make them a big as you can.

Back
Top Bottom