Using this as a coop... conversion?

Pics
The main reason for big roof overhangs is to have soffit ventilation.
Top hinged windows will keep most rain from coming in thru windows.

There's no way to estimate eave depth to deter rain infiltration thru/on the wall,
depends on how the wind blows.
Make them a big as you can.

Got it! So the overhang will be for the top ventilation panels (I plan to leave two feet all around open all the time). And we'll need to design flip/removable panels (need to look for clear plastic - they'll be much happier when they can also see outside) for the rest of the walls.
Thanks!!

Look to your roofing materials - if you are buying a 10' long panel, then planning on (almost) 2' of overhang means no cutting. ;)

Do keep in mind, of course, that the further you overhang w/o support, the more the roof will sag. Aesthetically, not great. Might want to consider some form of counter bracing if you extend substantially. But its definitely worth considering. On my barn, I used 12' panels, but the building is only 9.5' center line to exterior wall, so I have around 3' of overhang down both long sides (and 4' in front of the main door). Every time it rains, I'm happy I built this way.

Got it! So the overhang will be for the top ventilation panels (I plan to leave two feet all around open all the time). And we'll need to design flip/removable panels (need to look for clear plastic - they'll be much happier when they can also see outside) for the rest of the walls.
Thanks!!
It would be good for you to start a thread about your coop build.
I have some questions but don't want to hijack @CHlCKEN 's thread.

What do you all think of this.... https://www.suncast.com/bms8100-tremonttm.html
I’d add roosts and ventilation somehow, and make it work for both my chickens and my ducks.

I chose against wood because most wood sheds are made with particle board which would never hold up with waterfowl or really last long at all.

Do you mean "particle board" or "oriented strand board" (commonly called OSB)?

All the siding I have seen is treated OSB.

Mine have this....

https://www.homedepot.com/p/LP-SmartSide-SmartSide-48-in-x-96-in-Strand-Panel-Siding-27874/100055901

Does OSB last, or will it fall apart when it contacts moisture?

It depends. OSB siding is treated to resist mold and termites so lasts literally decades.

Siding should be installed so it does not come into direct contact with the ground.
To achieve this the base/floor frame should be placed on blocks to keep all the wood at least a few inches above the dirt. OR be made from wood rated for ground contact.

Even with specially treated wood I prefer it does not touch the ground.

Back
Top Bottom