Using this as a coop... conversion?

It depends. OSB siding is treated to resist mold and termites so lasts literally decades.

Siding should be installed so it does not come into direct contact with the ground.
To achieve this the base/floor frame should be placed on blocks to keep all the wood at least a few inches above the dirt. OR be made from wood rated for ground contact.

Even with specially treated wood I prefer it does not touch the ground.
Thank you.
I agree. The OSB in my chicken coop has lasted 9+ years with little to none damage.
Since I’m looking to have waterfowl in my coop, I really want something that lasts. Perhaps I’ll check Lowe’s again and see if they specify what material is in use.

My duck house is made of wood. I painted the inside with porch and floor paint, use shavings and do not keep food or water in the structure.

So far it has stayed dry.
Thanks.

I wouldn’t have food or water in it either, but with ducks comes moisture.

I’m a fan of this one. If the price works out, I think this is what I will go with. (But I’m very picky, I keep changing my mind, so we’ll see) However, I can’t see if it’s OSB or Particleboard that’s in use. What do you think?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Heartland-...rage-Shed-Installation-Not-Included/999961887

Thanks.

I wouldn’t have food or water in it either, but with ducks comes moisture.

I’m a fan of this one. If the price works out, I think this is what I will go with. (But I’m very picky, I keep changing my mind, so we’ll see) However, I can’t see if it’s OSB or Particleboard that’s in use. What do you think?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Heartland-...rage-Shed-Installation-Not-Included/999961887

That has OSB siding. You can see inside it in the second picture. It is extremely rare to see particle board used in construction.

Particle board is basically pressed sawdust with glue mixed in. It is very uniform in color.

Zero shed companies would ever use particle board. They would have way to many warranty claims if they did.

I have never ever ever seen particle board used in siding.

That has OSB siding. You can see inside it in the second picture. It is extremely rare to see particle board used in construction.

Particle board is basically pressed sawdust with glue mixed in. It is very uniform in color.

Zero shed companies would ever use particle board. They would have way to many warranty claims if they did.

I have never ever ever seen particle board used in siding.
That makes so much sense. I feel dumb now, but thanks.

So a wood shed would be my best option?

By the way, what do you recommend me to purchase for roosts? (This would be used for ducks and chickens)

That makes so much sense. I feel dumb now, but thanks.

So a wood shed would be my best option?

By the way, what do you recommend me to purchase for roosts? (This would be used for ducks and chickens)

Not trying to make anyone feel dumb. :hugs

For roosts I use 2x4's at 24" from the floor and 18" or more away from the wall and the other roosts. Wide side up is what is recommended.

Housing ducks with chickens can be problematic for many reasons. For one ducks are party animals and move around during the night. That makes for tired cranky chickens. If you have a drake they can kill chickens if they try to breed them.

If I were to use a big structure like that shed to house both I would have a dividing wall and separate outdoor areas for them.

As it turns out, I just left Lowes. At least in my area, they appear to be discontinuing and discounting all their display sheds. So while I am still not fond of them due to the lack of overhang on the roof, and I need to add significant ventilation, the price right now may be as good as you are likely to see for quite some time, particularly with lumber prices being where they are right now. As OSB, I don't like it, though it is formed under heat and pressure with an exterior glue, it's still not great on its own. Better than thin plywood, and much much better than particle board, which you will only see on shelving. Anyhow, might want to make a trip to Lowe's today, see if your local store is discounting and disposing of them like mine is. Good luck!

And Ducks don't Roost, as I'm sure you know. They nest on the ground, so make certain you leave some area for them which is not underneath your chicken roosts. My ducks are stupid, they will Nest almost anywhere, including in the middle of the pathway right next to the gate, so everyone walks over their eggs when I let them out in the morning. I hope your ducks are much smarter

Back
Top Bottom