Using this as a coop... conversion?

Also, the gambrel is for overhead storage space, which is likely wasted in a chicken coop.
Pretty sure that gambrel, or 'barn' roofs, were designed for hay storage...hay lofts.
They actually had soffit vents.
Now they are just a 'cute fad' for sheds and houses.

Pretty sure that gambrel, or 'barn' roofs, were designed for hay storage...hay lofts.
They actually had soffit vents.
Now they are just a 'cute fad' for sheds and houses.
You are absolutely right - hay was the usual storage up there, a "hay loft". and in a larger structure, it makes sense. Plenty had large second story doors and a block and tackle to lift and manipulate the bales into place.

In a 10x10 hen house (or smaller), I have doubts most people are going to walk in, bring a ladder or something else, set it in the chicken droppings and bedding material, then drag down a 100# cube of hay from the loft they had to construct after buying the shed. Maybe small bales would be ok, as long as they aren't compressed. and if you leave a ladder in place, well, that's the new roosting bar....

In a 10x10 hen house (or smaller), I have doubts most people are going to walk in, bring a ladder or something else, set it in the chicken droppings and bedding material, then drag down a 100# cube of hay from the loft they had to construct after buying the shed. Maybe small bales would be ok, as long as they aren't compressed. and if you leave a ladder in place, well, that's the new roosting bar....
Most gambrel roofed sheds have very short side walls....making a loft silly.

Most gambrel roofed sheds have very short side walls....making a loft silly.
which is why I said I doubt anyone would use it. It would have all the use of trying to store a tote above your car in the garage, only less width, and less ability to move around, or clear floor space. Different when your barn is 30 or 40 foot wide. In a shed? Waste of materials.

Any chicken coop brands that’d be cheaper than this whole project?

Not really. I think that is why so many get a shed and convert it.

Have you looked into finding a used shed and having it moved?

Sometimes there are decent used sheds available on craigslist.

A cheaper and still effective potential option would be a cattle panel hoop house. They don't require much actual construction skill.

No matter what is chosen there are drawbacks and benefits to each.

Not really. I think that is why so many get a shed and convert it.

Have you looked into finding a used shed and having it moved?

Sometimes there are decent used sheds available on craigslist.

A cheaper and still effective potential option would be a cattle panel hoop house. They don't require much actual construction skill.

No matter what is chosen there are drawbacks and benefits to each.
No, actually I haven’t. I’m not sure why I didn’t think of that.

Back
Top Bottom