Using this as a coop... conversion?

Pics
The "Hoop Coop" has a LOT going for it. I keep looking at them myself, though I have tools, building skills, space, and lots of birds - if anything, the number of birds I have may be the biggest deterrent - but I still think about building one as a "see and be seen" grow out coop, inside the larger run.

They are fast, cheap, efficient uses of space - and light enough that a small one can be transformed into a practical chicken tractor as well.

If I do "goat math" like I've been doing "chicken math" and have to give up the new building entirely to goats, I think a hoop coop for some of the birds will get another look on my property. The only concern remains the number of birds I have - because I free range all day, sorting them in the evening can be annoying.

I have a shed similar to that. I am new to chickens and refuse to convert it to a coop, even though a friend that has had chickens has recommended. One important thing is the hinges. You will want heavier duty ones than they have. I have had to adjust mine repeatedly and now the doors can't shut tight. I refuse to use mine, which is older, because it would need a whole rebuild to meet my standards. LOL

I bought a 8x12 building then added shed roofs off the two sides. Love it!
Did have to add extra ventilation though.
D9B2F062-1CEB-4B9B-8791-443C80C906C2.jpeg

I first purchased a shed to house my chickens
It was much more difficult to ventilate. I decided against using it this year and converted their run into the home/run this year. . I covered it in clear plastic shower curtains for the winter and added two small fabricated houses inside for roosting on cold nights
This was a success for me. The entire run is sand with roosts and nest boxes. The fab houses have wood chips. Loved the ease in keeping clean and dry! Good luck all!

Back
Top Bottom