Using vinyl for a coop floor

We glued down sheet vinyl to our coop floor deck then framed the walls, so between the glue and the bottom plate of the walls the vinyl will never come up. We also have about an inch of sand covering the entire coop floor, which makes clean-up a breeze.

We glued down sheet vinyl to our coop floor deck then framed the walls, so between the glue and the bottom plate of the walls the vinyl will never come up.
Hopefully no spills will run under the wall framing, and the siding outside covers the edge of the vinyl.

Hopefully no spills will run under the wall framing, and the siding outside covers the edge of the vinyl.

Neither water or feed are inside the coop so there is no possibility of a spill on the coop floor from the inside. The coop floor is elevated 2’ off the ground, and the exterior siding laps 4” down past the floor level.
Not intending to be a smartass, but I’m the son of a carpenter, who was also the son of a carpenter, and have been in the construction trade myself for 40 years so it’s built correctly.

Neither water or feed are inside the coop so there is no possibility of a spill on the coop floor from the inside. The coop floor is elevated 2’ off the ground, and the exterior siding laps 4” down past the floor level.
Not intending to be a smartass, but I’m the son of a carpenter, who was also the son of a carpenter, and have been in the construction trade myself for 40 years so it’s built correctly.
Was more pointing out the risks of this type of install, not criticizing you.

I don’t know what it’s called, but the Amish coop I bought is 4x6’ and they used plastic panels that are used to (hideously) cover bathroom walls. While I would give it a big thumbs down for an actual bathroom, it’s wonderfully durable on the coop floor. Not sure I would choose it for a larger coop, just because there would be gaps/joints in between multiple sheets though. We are planning a build of a 10X20’ coop currently and I was thinking linoleum. Maybe I’d spring for the pretty fake wood pattern.

Last edited:
We bought a remnant of linoleum from a local floor store. We stapled the edges down & built the walls over the edges. In the coop we will eventually renovate...probably cut to fit, staple the edges, cut excess & possibly cheap trim. I put pine shavings over the linoleum. (Best pic I had) Its not stylish but it was just a cheap remnant.

Attachments

• 20200816_104126.jpg
    20200816_104126.jpg
    525.9 KB · Views: 13

Back
Top Bottom