Using wing feathers to sex chicks

suebgbr

Songster
7 Years
Apr 16, 2012
Bolton, England
I found a video on youtube by chickenlover451. I put 'sexing chickens' in the search bar.
They say you spread the wings out at 3 or 4 days old. If there is a single row it is a roo and a double row of feathers means a pullet.
1. Is this true?
2. Does it work for all breeds?

It's just like the colors of sexlinks, in that it has to be bred specifically. If you got your chicks from a hatchery, and they're from breeds that are often used for this (leghorns, for instance), it might work. Of course, you can still look and write down your guesses to check back later. Can't hurt.

Does this work when the chicks are older? My barred rocks are around 3 weeks old and have two layers of feathers to their wings

Does this work when the chicks are older? My barred rocks are around 3 weeks old and have two layers of feathers to their wings

Barred Rocks are easy as they feather in. Boys have two copies of the barring gene so have twice the barring and are brighter/lighter than the girls.

If it doesn't work, will there still be difference in the wing tips? I sexed mine yesterday and their eggs were sold by a friend, i came out with a ratio of 1 cockeral to 6 pullets. I have Americana, Brahma, Welsummer, and Jungle Fowl chicks that i sexed.

If it doesn't work, will there still be difference in the wing tips? I sexed mine yesterday and their eggs were sold by a friend, i came out with a ratio of 1 cockeral to 6 pullets. I have Americana, Brahma, Welsummer, and Jungle Fowl chicks that i sexed. 

There will be differences in feathering rates by breed and individual which is all you're seeing.

Back
Top Bottom