USPS charged me $14.10

Hope you got this straightened out and sorry you had to go through it. I am a clerk at a post office. You should not have been charged to pick up your chicks. A package intercept is when you are either changing the address on a package mid way or holding it somewhere in the middle of delivery. This does not apply to live birds at the post office they were going to in the first place. I hope that this was someone new and confused.

i agree, like i mentioned in my earlier post, it didn't seem to apply to this situation..

I am in west central Florida and on my 2nd order from meyer's there where two labels one said next day delivery call person for pick up, on the second label said 2 day delivery but didn't say anything about call person for pick. My chicks arrived on a friday at 7:30 am the post master decided to call me 1:30pm on friday and asked me to come to the PO. When I got there the post master came out to talk to me, he said they hadn't heard any peeping from the box and had me open it to check them out and they where just fine. They just needed water that I had brought with me. Anyway my point is that people can make mistakes whether it's the hatchery or the post office and I wish you good luck at the po. I didn't get charged for picking them up.
I agree with you that people make mistakes. The fact that the PM came out to talk to you speak highly about the service and the fact that they are human. I want to understand what happened so it will not happen again, whether it the PO or the hatchery.

Hope you got this straightened out and sorry you had to go through it. I am a clerk at a post office. You should not have been charged to pick up your chicks. A package intercept is when you are either changing the address on a package mid way or holding it somewhere in the middle of delivery. This does not apply to live birds at the post office they were going to in the first place. I hope that this was someone new and confused.
I hope so too however this lady and the one next to her supposedly worked there for a long time and they “knew” what they were talking about. First time she told me that the shipper didn’t pay for me to pick them up nor was it mentioned on the label/manifest. Second time she told me that it was intercepted and they were not nice at all. I worked with people in different levels of customer service and I have an understanding of what’s going on on both sides therefore I make sure that I’m always courteous and smile but I have a problem if it’s received with an attitude.

Last edited:
I would ask what I can do for my next delivery of live animals to ensure I am called so I can pick them up first thing without a charge. If there is something that the hatchery is labeling wrong or if I need to pay for a different shipping. Either way I would still complain about their “give a crap” attitude towards live animals.

You always have to pick up live chicks from the post office and no I have never had to pay a fee for it, I would call and complain to the post master general. did they give you a receipt? did you happen to at least get the employees name
Absolutely!! Go back to the PO and ask for the Postmaster! I would not call. Go back in person. Live chicks are always picked up here at the PO. No extra charge. They will not deliver to your house. Address this immediately with the Postmaster. When you walk in, ask for him/her but do not discuss it with whoever is at the counter.

Mmmm, we live rural, and I had numerous issues with the two clerks at our PO. I along with others had called the postmaster who took care of the situation and they both got fired. One had absolutely refused to give me a receipt for mailing my customer a priority flat rate box. I need the receipt as proof of mailing along with the tracking. The other one one time stuck tape over the bar code on another priority flat rate box of mine, even though I put my hand over it and told her not to because the readers might not be able to read it and then I would have issues with my customer. Just examples to give you.

They always call you as soon as they can after chicks are delivered. One reason why it's expensive to ship live poultry. You always pick up at the post office. Sounds like someone there had power issues. I'm sorry this happened to you!

And I don't know about elsewhere, but here the new clerks wait until I have opened the box and checked the chicks to see if any died.
Just my opinion and experience.

Last edited:
I would ask what I can do for my next delivery of live animals to ensure I am called so I can pick them up first thing without a charge. If there is something that the hatchery is labeling wrong or if I need to pay for a different shipping. Either way I would still complain about their “give a crap” attitude towards live animals.
That’s what I plan to do next week because I’m getting another shipment sent on 10/7 and I don’t want a repeat. Clearly there was an error made either at the PO end or at the hatchery end and it needs to be addressed. As far as the animals are concerned I know it’s at this PO.

I hardly think it is the hatchery's fault.
Meyers has shipped out thousands of boxes of chicks. I think they know what they are doing.
OP. quit trying to get anywhere with the clerks.
do as many people have said, go to a supervisor , and then go up the chain of command..
also let Meyers know what is happening.
maybe it will help them change their minds and start shipping UPS or another package shipper.
.......jiminwisc......

I hardly think it is the hatchery's fault.
Meyers has shipped out thousands of boxes of chicks. I think they know what they are doing.
OP. quit trying to get anywhere with the clerks.
do as many people have said, go to a supervisor , and then go up the chain of command..
also let Meyers know what is happening.
maybe it will help them change their minds and start shipping UPS or another package shipper.
.......jiminwisc......
That’s what I’ll do. I don’t think it’s Meyer either

Back
Top Bottom