USPS Click-N-Ship / anyone ever tape over the bar code by accident?

Dipsy Doodle Doo

ODD BIRD
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Aiken, South Carolina 29801
My Coop
My Coop
Hi!
On a box of eggs that left here Sat morning, I *think* the bar code got taped over (clear packing tape) --- *I* didn't actually do it, my mail carrier was *helping* and might have done it.

It says "DO NOT TAPE OVER BAR CODE" in the click-N-ship instructions.

Would that keep them from being able to scan the box and keep the box from showing up in the usps tracking system?

Thank You!
Lisa (anxious in Aiken)

Quote:
I tape over the bar code on most ebay sales packages.

If the tape is clear, and goes on with no creases, I have never had a problem.

That's just my experience.

I just received a package that had clear tape over the bar code, and I had still been able to use the DC number to track it. So, not to worry :aww

*big sigh* Thanks,
I can't imagine any other reason it isn't showing up in the system --- the other egg boxes from Sat are showing up as 'delivered' already
sad.png

That one's # isn't showing as even being mailed, just:
"The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on March 29, 2008 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. Delivery status information will be provided if / when available. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later."
*bigger sigh*

Lisa

yea usps is wierd they scan every location the box goes to but it does not list details, only when delivered. I always tape over barcode. to protect it from shipping.

I tape over them all the time, and I ship many, many boxes a day.
But whatever you do, don't forget to sign your customs forms... otherwise they send them back to you AND charge you the shipping!
barnie.gif

OK then, you taper-over-the-bar-coders --- why does it say "DO NOT TAPE OVER BAR CODE" in the click-N-ship instructions IF it is ok to tape over the bar code?

I'm still trying to figure how a box of eggs got from SC to AK without being scanned anywhere til it got to AK.

wink.png

Lisa

Unfortunately, they do that all of the time. The worst is mailing via parcel post. I had two packages that disappeared for four weeks before they surfaced. It was horrible as they were items I had sold on eBay and they literally took the slow boat to the lower 48. One of the buyers was emailing me and I had to point out the him that according the USPS that parcel post can take up to five weeks and that isn't a guarantee.

My MIL sent 8 packages at the same time, all with delivery confirmation and 7 arrived in three days, the eighth arrived over two weeks later... not once surfacing in the system until delivery.

Edited to add: they ask that you not tape because it can reflect their scanner light, making it where they have to hand type in the confirmation number... it makes more work for them. Before I started using label making paper, I would place Elmer's glue under the bar code and tape everything else.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom