USPS Delayed Shipping

Hey all,
It's been 8 weeks since my Doms arrived. All are happy and healthy without too much drama, minus a death(free chick), one with severe scissor beak, and the order not filled correctly. They've settled into their new house and are glad to be out of the brooder.
Since the brooder is now empty, I ordered my meat birds (from a different hatchery than my doms but a hatchery that I've used before.) Just a mix of heavy breed cockerels. HOWEVER, after ordering my meat birds that hatched and shipped yesterday, June 9, I received my first update on the shipment tracking. The USPS says it will be SATURDAY the 13th before they arrive! After looking at the USPS website I now realize that one day extra has been added to the priority mail packages because of Covid! Essentially, they'll be five days old when I pick then up from the post office! I'm no pro, but I'm certainly an old hand at raising chicks, and have never had chicks shipped that took longer than two days to ship. What's your opinions? I also have an order of Pekins and Khaki Campbells that are shipping the 21st, would the duckling fare any better or worse at 4-5 days shipping? Thanks.

It looks like we have pretty much the same situation. My ten meat birds shipped on the 9th and the tracking says they are supposed to be delivered on sat the 13th. I sure do hope to receive a call from the post office bright and early today asking me to come pick them up.

It looks like we have pretty much the same situation. My ten meat birds shipped on the 9th and the tracking says they are supposed to be delivered on sat the 13th. I sure do hope to receive a call from the post office bright and early today asking me to come pick them up.
Hey TheMother,
Any luck on your birds? I got mine yesterday, but it was nearly a fiasco. I called my postmaster yesterday because the tracking on my shipment of birds had never moved from a distribution center. God bless my postmaster because he actually drove 100 miles to the distribution center to pick them up! They REALLY wouldn't have been here until Saturday! Then my rural mail carrier hand delivered them to me at my home at the beginning of his route (I'm actually one of his last last boxes for the day.) I've always had the 6 am "your birds are here, please come pick them up" call. My small town mail carriers saved the day. They're now on my permanent nice list for Christmas.

Hey TheMother,
Any luck on your birds? I got mine yesterday, but it was nearly a fiasco. I called my postmaster yesterday because the tracking on my shipment of birds had never moved from a distribution center. God bless my postmaster because he actually drove 100 miles to the distribution center to pick them up! They REALLY wouldn't have been here until Saturday! Then my rural mail carrier hand delivered them to me at my home at the beginning of his route (I'm actually one of his last last boxes for the day.) I've always had the 6 am "your birds are here, please come pick them up" call. My small town mail carriers saved the day. They're now on my permanent nice list for Christmas.

I'm so glad to hear everything worked out with your chicks! You have an awesome group at your post Office!!
I checked the tracking and it showed mine were at the distribution center since 6 am.
I called and called to see if I could pick them up at 6 am since after that I could only come after 10 am, no answers. I drove up there at 10 and they were actually at my local office, so I had to drive over there and they were in the back cheeping as loud as can be. I'm not sure what they were planning to do with them since they didn't at all notify me in any way. I had to track them down myself . Thankfully they are all doing great!

I'm so glad to hear everything worked out with your chicks! You have an awesome group at your post Office!!
I checked the tracking and it showed mine were at the distribution center since 6 am.
I called and called to see if I could pick them up at 6 am since after that I could only come after 10 am, no answers. I drove up there at 10 and they were actually at my local office, so I had to drive over there and they were in the back cheeping as loud as can be. I'm not sure what they were planning to do with them since they didn't at all notify me in any way. I had to track them down myself . Thankfully they are all doing great!
Glad to hear it. All's well that end well.

Back
Top Bottom