USPS Delayed Shipping

Dive_hive

In the Brooder
Apr 25, 2020
Hey all,
It's been 8 weeks since my Doms arrived. All are happy and healthy without too much drama, minus a death(free chick), one with severe scissor beak, and the order not filled correctly. They've settled into their new house and are glad to be out of the brooder.
Since the brooder is now empty, I ordered my meat birds (from a different hatchery than my doms but a hatchery that I've used before.) Just a mix of heavy breed cockerels. HOWEVER, after ordering my meat birds that hatched and shipped yesterday, June 9, I received my first update on the shipment tracking. The USPS says it will be SATURDAY the 13th before they arrive! After looking at the USPS website I now realize that one day extra has been added to the priority mail packages because of Covid! Essentially, they'll be five days old when I pick then up from the post office! I'm no pro, but I'm certainly an old hand at raising chicks, and have never had chicks shipped that took longer than two days to ship. What's your opinions? I also have an order of Pekins and Khaki Campbells that are shipping the 21st, would the duckling fare any better or worse at 4-5 days shipping? Thanks.

When my order shipped last week I got the same message on my tracking. I thought too that they can't survive that long in transit. Mine came on Wednesday, the fastest ever, so don't always trust that tracking.
Okay, that's good to know. My other shipments of birds and other non living packages have been spot on in the past, so I thought I should atleast ask! If you don't mind me asking, what did you get last week?

I've never considered geese before, but may in the future. I've never educated myself concerning geese. Any different tactics for raising geese compared to chicks, turkey or guineas?

Goslings are fast growing, messy, poop monsters. I pick them ever increasing amounts of grass and dandelion greens, and chop them up. Geese eat grass, and various weeds mostly. They get a flock raiser ration as well. I brood them in a kiddie pool.

They are pretty hardy, and don't seem to require as much heat. Lots of cleaning though.

They are goofy birds. They also are more interested in what you are doing like turkeys are. So they require me to talk to them. My chicks don't need me.

Goslings are fast growing, messy, poop monsters. I pick them ever increasing amounts of grass and dandelion greens, and chop them up. Geese eat grass, and various weeds mostly. They get a flock raiser ration as well. I brood them in a kiddie pool.

They are pretty hardy, and don't seem to require as much heat. Lots of cleaning though.

They are goofy birds. They also are more interested in what you are doing like turkeys are. So they require me to talk to them. My chicks don't need me.
I've been around other people's geese, some were indifferent, and others would rather flog you than look at ya(usually females with goslings on them). Albeit, they were more ornamental and really weren't socialized.
I can deal with goofy and another poop monster 👹 shouldn't make too much of a difference overall. Lol. My chicks don't need me either! I usually confine my birds, or atleast keep them very close to the house because of depredation from domestic dogs, bears, weasel, coon etc. How do geese handle free ranging? I have MORE than enough room, several 1 acres ponds, and could build a seperate house for them. Are they equipt better to fend off predators if allowed to roam?

I've been around other people's geese, some were indifferent, and others would rather flog you than look at ya(usually females with goslings on them). Albeit, they were more ornamental and really weren't socialized.
I can deal with goofy and another poop monster 👹 shouldn't make too much of a difference overall. Lol. My chicks don't need me either! I usually confine my birds, or atleast keep them very close to the house because of depredation from domestic dogs, bears, weasel, coon etc. How do geese handle free ranging? I have MORE than enough room, several 1 acres ponds, and could build a seperate house for them. Are they equipt better to fend off predators if allowed to roam?
Geese recognize friend or foe. Mine act differently for me than they do my husband. Him they run from. With me it's this weird relationship where they like me, and want to follow me, but they still want to yell at me, and pretend they would come after me.

My geese bonded with my goats and they go out to graze with them. Mine are confined in the goat pasture, otherwise they wander around chewing on things and exploring. They are fascinated by jangling chains, or latches.

I'd say give them a try and see if you like them.

I also keep muscovy ducks. They are pretty good at foraging, and free ranging too without all the noise.

It's good to know they get along with goats. I have 25 kids that would love to pester something other than their mothers or the donkey. I might just give them a try next year.

Back
Top Bottom