USPS embargo on live animals (chicks) through Feb 26, 2021!

Pics
We were supposed to be locked down for 30 days. I have little faith in any freedoms, privileges, or conveniences being returned to us once we let them be taken away. I hope this embargo, whatever it’s for, passes quickly, but I’m soured on government promises.
The head of USPS appointed by the previous administration forbade ANY mail to go by plane and also ordered that there be only one class of mail which is 5 to 7 day delivery. That's why the live animal embargo. Its likely to be there until the current administration reverses the policies.

Looking up NPIP and licensing requirements for my State now. Not that I'm selling purebreds, or in volumes that TSC would demand. But as I'm already breeding for my own project, being able to legally convey in commerce the majority of birds which don't move my breeding plan forward would be a "nicety".
...and thanks to this thread for the impetus, I've sent email to my State contact inquiring about NPIP certification to sell hatching eggs and live birds. Already pursuing the state's Limited Poultry license for human consumption of eggs and processed poultry.

Appreciate you all!

Source: https://postalpro.usps.com/mnt/glusterfs/2021-02/UPDATE%20Impacts%20from%20Winter%20Storms%20-%20LIVES%20Embargo%20Extension.pdf

1613772567273.png

The head of USPS appointed by the previous administration forbade ANY mail to go by plane and also ordered that there be only one class of mail which is 5 to 7 day delivery. That's why the live animal embargo. Its likely to be there until the current administration reverses the policies.
Can you provide sources for this? Other than being able to deliver ballots I haven’t heard any of this that turned out to be accurate, just he said she said from people who tell me “facts” after only reading headlines. I’ve received mail from Texas to NJ in 2 days, so unless the usps uses teleporters things are shipping by air.

Can you provide sources for this? Other than being able to deliver ballots I haven’t heard any of this that turned out to be accurate, just he said she said from people who tell me “facts” after only reading headlines. I’ve received mail from Texas to NJ in 2 days, so unless the usps uses teleporters things are shipping by air.

This is as close as you are likely to get for a widely reported "source", and it doesn't begin to support those claims, which are part truths devoid of context. https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...n-usps-slower-mail-higher-prices-sources-say/ For a WaPo piece, its unusually good at providing some useful context and hard numbers.

Its the American political conversation, which belongs almost anywhere but on this thread.

Can we please stick to facts, and how this directly impacts us as chicken owners, buyers of poultry from distant breeders, and potential sellers of same to off-property buyers?

This is as close as you are likely to get for a widely reported "source", and it doesn't begin to support those claims, only part truths devoid of context. https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...n-usps-slower-mail-higher-prices-sources-say/

Its the American political conversation, which belongs almost anywhere but on this thread.

Can we please stick to facts, and how this directly impacts us as chicken owners, buyers of poultry from distant breeders, and potential sellers of same to off-property buyers?
Thank you, I was like did I miss something?

Politics aside, honestly I see this as a potential boon for those of us equipped to hatch. I feel for hatcheries, but I’ve also been approached by people who wanted to buy from me, but then decided to pay more to have birds shipped because someone they know recommends a particular hatchery. I feel like it would be nice to have more options for local sourcing and maybe this will jumpstart a trend.

Thank you, I was like did I miss something?

Politics aside, honestly I see this as a potential boon for those of us equipped to hatch. I feel for hatcheries, but I’ve also been approached by people who wanted to buy from me, but then decided to pay more to have birds shipped because someone they know recommends a particular hatchery. I feel like it would be nice to have more options for local sourcing and maybe this will jumpstart a trend.

More options for local sourcing would be awesome here.

That or I start making runs to Cackle.....for a fee of course. ;)

Maybe not, depending on where the hatcheries are. Especially if you have more than one truck driver, so each can sleep while the other drives.

I just found Hoover Hatchery on google maps, and told it give directions to several places (San Diego, CA; Seattle, WA; Miami, FL; Bangor, ME). Google maps estimated that any of those could be reached in 30 hours or less of actual driving. If you allow for some stops, and some bad weather, I think two drivers could get from Hoover Hatchery to just about any point in the 48 contiguous states within 72 hours.

Also, it's the Post Office refusing shipments of live animals that must go by air. If TSC, or any other company, had a deal directly with the airlines they might still be able to have their chicks go by airplane.
It's good to know but I wonder how much are the chicks would cost when you figure in all that? Part of the business plan of hatcheries involves using the USPS logistics system for delivery for the past 80(?) or so years.

I got the email from both Murray McMurray and Ideal. I am in Michigan and chicks are due from McMurray's in June. Seems the USPS is claiming too big of a back log of packages because of the storms in Texas and Oklahoma. Hatcheries want us to contact Elected officials to put pressure on Post Office to give priority to the chicks as we cannot reschedule hatch dates. I also wonder what happens to chicks, are they just killed? Seems strange I just read an article on Ramble that something similar is happening in England. Covid-19 conspiracy??

Back
Top Bottom