USPS embargo on live animals (chicks) through Feb 26, 2021!

Pics
So neither USPS or UPS or FEDEX will be delivering chicks anymore?
USPS is taking a weather related pause, tentatively, for another week.

UPS and FEDEX, when they take live critters, only take them for overnight delivery, which is MUCH more expensive, and thus not the preferred shipping method of commercial hatcheries. I've not seen any notice they are engaged in, or contemplating, a stoppage of that service, but they were rarely used in the first place.

I must respectfully disagree. As in any enterprise, even a public one, sustainability is the objective. If an enterprise can not sustain itself it will fail. When the expense out weighs the value of the service then the service is bound to fail. Privatization of the service guarantees it's success. If a service is valuable enough for the public to continue to support it, and make it profitable for a private company to invest it's resources in, then it will thrive. Government funding and control only serve to decrease efficiency and increase corruption! Profit is not evil, it is inherently necessary.

Wait, so...you're saying having a mail service that by law must deliver to every address in our nation isn't necessary?
Confused Thinking GIF

You are boggling my mind. That's the reason that every country in the world has a government run mail service, because it's a necessity. Governments generally do not provide things that aren't necessary, unless the citizenry demands it. Profit is never a necessity. That's why non profits can get by and thrive. Profit does not equal sustainability; profit is getting more out of it than you put in, and in this day and age, it means FAR more than you put in or else entrepreneurs don't think it's worth it. The American people profit from the accessibility that they get from the Post Office. For just 55 cents you can send a letter anywhere in the country. I'd like to see FedEx and UPS offer us that kind of service (and yeah, they do ship documents).

Even saying that--the USPS pays for itself through postage, goods, and services offered--they don't receive tax money. The reason they are hurting financially is mainly because of the insane pension burden that Congress put on them. They have always been sustainable...our government is just trying to ruin that sustainability for some reason.
Who Knows Idk GIF

Last edited:
It's good to know but I wonder how much are the chicks would cost when you figure in all that? Part of the business plan of hatcheries involves using the USPS logistics system for delivery for the past 80(?) or so years.
I strongly prefer to keep using USPS.

But someone had questioned whether it was even possible for some company to get chicks transported without the Post Office.

And the US may be big, but if you're willing to drive day & night it doesn't take all that many days to get from any place to any other place in the 48 contiguous states. Of course Alaska and Hawaii would be different.

Can you provide sources for this? Other than being able to deliver ballots I haven’t heard any of this that turned out to be accurate, just he said she said from people who tell me “facts” after only reading headlines. I’ve received mail from Texas to NJ in 2 days, so unless the usps uses teleporters things are shipping by air.
Sure let me look it up. I hope I'm not embarrassed by the source :oops:

This is as close as you are likely to get for a widely reported "source", and it doesn't begin to support those claims, which are part truths devoid of context. https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...n-usps-slower-mail-higher-prices-sources-say/ For a WaPo piece, its unusually good at providing some useful context and hard numbers.

Its the American political conversation, which belongs almost anywhere but on this thread.

Can we please stick to facts, and how this directly impacts us as chicken owners, buyers of poultry from distant breeders, and potential sellers of same to off-property buyers?
Hmmm, OK I wasn't trying to be political. only informational. I thought the Post was a fairly good source. I will retire from this thread

I never got the Email from Meyer's about this.🤔
F966C659-7284-4677-AC62-984991FC8E9F.png

this is what Meyer’s sent me last night. I have chicks ordered from them, but they’re for pickup in April. Now, cackle? I have chicks that are supposed to ship the 22nd and I haven’t heard anything from them. I don’t think the embargo will affect my chicks, though, because it’s just Missouri to West Virginia.

View attachment 2537504
this is what Meyer’s sent me last night. I have chicks ordered from them, but they’re for pickup in April. Now, cackle? I have chicks that are supposed to ship the 22nd and I haven’t heard anything from them. I don’t think the embargo will affect my chicks, though, because it’s just Missouri to West Virginia.
Yep, haven't received an email about it.

I'm not ordering until April, or May anyways.

The head of USPS appointed by the previous administration forbade ANY mail to go by plane and also ordered that there be only one class of mail which is 5 to 7 day delivery. That's why the live animal embargo. Its likely to be there until the current administration reverses the policies.
I don't know about his actions but he was appointed by the postal service board, not the previous presidential administration. So that'd mean he is probably still in charge.

Back
Top Bottom