USPS embargo on live animals (chicks) through Feb 26, 2021!

Pics
Is it really obvious?? Because I don't think so. :confused:

My guess is they will be sold cheaper locally, shipped by ground, become plant fertilizer, a cheap pet food source, zoo animal feed, etc.. Or other industrial use hatcheries likely have in place as a back up.. They CAN make ALL kinds of alternative plans since they have a warning.. this is also what often happens during mass flooding that kills livestock like hogs, etc. :sick

I guarantee what I described in the previous paragraph IS what happens to a LOT of less desirable male chicks that hatch and are sexed but considered less worth growing out/salable.. like Leghorn type for example. It's better than going directly into a land fill. :)
Hi, EggSighted. I must have become a bit overwrought today, so please forgive the firebranded posting. I actually emailed the hatchery that first contacted me about this
to ask what they would do with the chicks they can not

Hi, EggSighted. I must have become a bit overwrought today, so please forgive the firebranded posting. I actually emailed the hatchery that first contacted me about this
to ask what they would do with the chicks they can not
they can not send to customers via aircraft. Their reply was they would shuffle their surface shipping orders. They are not offering half price chicks, come and pick them up, yet. Their reply was a bit more even-keeled than their first email.

I could use an even keel myself. Regards, TXTurkeyMama

Is it really obvious?? Because I don't think so. :confused:

My guess is they will be sold cheaper locally, shipped by ground, become plant fertilizer, a cheap pet food source, zoo animal feed, etc.. Or other industrial use hatcheries likely have in place as a back up.. They CAN make ALL kinds of alternative plans since they have a warning.. this is also what often happens during mass flooding that kills livestock like hogs, etc. :sick

I guarantee what I described in the previous paragraph IS what happens to a LOT of less desirable male chicks that hatch and are sexed but considered less worth growing out/salable.. like Leghorn type for example. It's better than going directly into a land fill. :)
I know Murray McMurray gives their extra male chicks to a hawk rehab facility. So, I'd imagine some of the extra chicks from this embargo will be euthanized and end up being hawk food. It makes me sad, but like others have said at least they have a purpose and aren't going to end up in a land fill.

I know Murray McMurray gives their extra male chicks to a hawk rehab facility. So, I'd imagine some of the extra chicks from this embargo will be euthanized and end up being hawk food. It makes me sad, but like others have said at least they have a purpose and aren't going to end up in a land fill.
That's actually pretty neat. I wonder if it's a donation or if they get anything at all for the males at that point

They don't feed them live? I didn't think hawks would eat carrion - but i'm honestly ignorant on the subject. Eagles will, i know.

and the write off is at commercial value, which is less than they sell most breeds for. Quite likely, based on weight, not head count.
Had a raccoon hit infront of the house and a red tail was enjoying it

They don't feed them live? I didn't think hawks would eat carrion - but i'm honestly ignorant on the subject. Eagles will, i know.

and the write off is at commercial value, which is less than they sell most breeds for. Quite likely, based on weight, not head count.
I know falconers actually have hawks too quite a bit and they feed dead to train them to come back when they fly them

Back
Top Bottom