USPS Shipping Delays: March 2021: Should I Be Concerned?

But you simply can't deny that the USPS is having novel, protracted problems.

I don't. And I haven't.

USPS has been having protracted problems for decades. The GAO (arguably non-partisan), during the tenure of a different administration, designated USPS a "high risk" back in 2009, and has never removed that status. Current events have only magnified the extent of them, and various media sources are reporting on various politicians trying to "make hay" with them for purposes which may, or may not, relate to the USPS directly.

USPS relies on commercial airlines to transfer most of the mail from place to place, including live chicks. Legislation was passed sometime back forcing air carriers to accept live cargo, but commercial airlines (and commercial / passenger rail) have been carrying US Post since roughly the 30s (I believe that the rail no longer carries post, however).

For the past year, commercial air travel has been *severely* curtailed by the pandemic, and air carriers commitment to the USPS are defined by contract volumes. So USPS was pinched by fewer flights and more bulky mail as a consequence of the pandemic. Commercial trucking availability was also reduced, and in some cases, commercial airlines simply lied about delivery speeds. Not just American, United too. USPS contracts with larger commercial carriers and shippers (Amazon, FedEx, etc) to handle "last mile deliveries", which have been the subject of considerable debate for many years related to their rates (and whether same are economically viable or backdoor subsidies to megacorps) - last addressed in 2006 legislation - have also seen a jump in volume, again due to the pandemic.

On the other hand, the USPS budget is set by Congress' willingness to allow the USPS to borrow in excess of revenues. They aren't authorized unlimited overtime, and Congress only recently got around to pouring more money into that hole. NPR WSJ Politico etc. First class mail, a major past revenue source, continues its decline. Paid advertising bulk mail dropped almost 60% during the pandemic, another significant USPS revenue source with little cost. Basically, the small, routine, easy to deliver has become less and less of USPS volume, while the bulky, non-standard, atypical, and more expensive to deliver volume has increased - and USPS had no flexibility to adapt during the pandemic, particularly as their own vendors that help with moving mail from place to place (commercial airlines, fedex, etc) were reducing their own service, and were legally protected in doing so by force majeure clauses.

Then add a once in a life time cold front covering the majority of the nation not for hours or days, but nearly a week? Too many stresses on that system. Suspending live animal delivery while transporting critical goods (when they could) to areas without power and/or water was higher priority. USPS had just (sort of) made progress digging out from the huge backlogs in December, as people mailed holiday gifts, rather than delivering them themselves.

Our USPS isn't alone in many of those pandemic issues, see for instance, the IMEX Global page with alerts regarding postal delays across the pond.

So yes, my view of USPS is a little more nuanced than "DeJoy bad", and I'm willing to talk policy, history, and trends. Unlike others.

Currently, there are no nationwide embargoes on the shipment of live animals by USPS, anecdotally based on comments here, they appear to be arriving mostly timely. Nor do there appear to be any specific policies recently enacted by DeJoy or the rest of the PRC deliberately impacting live animal shipments, for good or ill.

And in any large organization, it all starts at the top.

I propose you look higher, if you would see the top of the organization, than the figurehead so conveniently serving as strawman.

I don't. And I haven't.

USPS has been having protracted problems for decades. The GAO (arguably non-partisan), during the tenure of a different administration, designated USPS a "high risk" back in 2009, and has never removed that status. Current events have only magnified the extent of them, and various media sources are reporting on various politicians trying to "make hay" with them for purposes which may, or may not, relate to the USPS directly.

USPS relies on commercial airlines to transfer most of the mail from place to place, including live chicks. Legislation was passed sometime back forcing air carriers to accept live cargo, but commercial airlines (and commercial / passenger rail) have been carrying US Post since roughly the 30s (I believe that the rail no longer carries post, however).

For the past year, commercial air travel has been *severely* curtailed by the pandemic, and air carriers commitment to the USPS are defined by contract volumes. So USPS was pinched by fewer flights and more bulky mail as a consequence of the pandemic. Commercial trucking availability was also reduced, and in some cases, commercial airlines simply lied about delivery speeds. Not just American, United too. USPS contracts with larger commercial carriers and shippers (Amazon, FedEx, etc) to handle "last mile deliveries", which have been the subject of considerable debate for many years related to their rates (and whether same are economically viable or backdoor subsidies to megacorps) - last addressed in 2006 legislation - have also seen a jump in volume, again due to the pandemic.

On the other hand, the USPS budget is set by Congress' willingness to allow the USPS to borrow in excess of revenues. They aren't authorized unlimited overtime, and Congress only recently got around to pouring more money into that hole. NPR WSJ Politico etc. First class mail, a major past revenue source, continues its decline. Paid advertising bulk mail dropped almost 60% during the pandemic, another significant USPS revenue source with little cost. Basically, the small, routine, easy to deliver has become less and less of USPS volume, while the bulky, non-standard, atypical, and more expensive to deliver volume has increased - and USPS had no flexibility to adapt during the pandemic, particularly as their own vendors that help with moving mail from place to place (commercial airlines, fedex, etc) were reducing their own service, and were legally protected in doing so by force majeure clauses.

Then add a once in a life time cold front covering the majority of the nation not for hours or days, but nearly a week? Too many stresses on that system. Suspending live animal delivery while transporting critical goods (when they could) to areas without power and/or water was higher priority. USPS had just (sort of) made progress digging out from the huge backlogs in December, as people mailed holiday gifts, rather than delivering them themselves.

Our USPS isn't alone in many of those pandemic issues, see for instance, the IMEX Global page with alerts regarding postal delays across the pond.

So yes, my view of USPS is a little more nuanced than "DeJoy bad", and I'm willing to talk policy, history, and trends. Unlike others.

Currently, there are no nationwide embargoes on the shipment of live animals by USPS, anecdotally based on comments here, they appear to be arriving mostly timely. Nor do there appear to be any specific policies recently enacted by DeJoy or the rest of the PRC deliberately impacting live animal shipments, for good or ill.

I propose you look higher, if you would see the top of the organization, than the figurehead so conveniently serving as strawman.
I appreciate your lengthy, thoughtful, and nuanced response.

We clearly differ on how we view things. The USPS has had to cope with a substantial and unique financial hobble imposed by Congress for a very long time, as described in what you mistakenly interpreted as "comedy". John Oliver is a comedian, yes, and his in-depth treatment of issues is peppered with pointed criticism and satire, but his points are well-researched, and, in this case, anything but funny.

Louis DeJoy isn't just a "convenient whipping boy". He has no previous experience running an organization like the USPS, has at least $40M dollars invested in ways that are clear conflicts of interest, and got his job arguably because he was a substantial campaign contributor, not because he had any talent pertinent to the job to which he was appointed. Furthermore, he has repeatedly demonstrated a willingness to undertake actions that will clearly disrupt and degrade service when it is needed most. As an example, I offer the removal of sorting machines in the middle of a Presidential election when it was understood well in advance that mail-in balloting was going to be more highly used than ever before due to the pandemic. That mail-in balloting was a favorite hobby horse of the man who appointed him, and to whom he contributed millions of dollars is not a secret. As a career civil servant, I find this kind of behavior to be reprehensible, and fully illustrative of why he should be removed. (And why money in politics is such a pernicious problem in our country.) GAO nominally non-partisan? OK. Note that their assessment only acknowledges the risky financial hobble that John Oliver pointed out. Also, please note that there are a number of non-partisan, non-profit organizations calling for DeJoy's removal, e.g. Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington.

DeJoy is also the head of the entity. So, "looking higher" is giving him a pass for no reason that I can see, and perhaps even somewhat disingenuous. Agency heads have to do the best they can in the agency's best interests with the hand they were dealt. Of course there are things beyond his control. And in my opinion, he hides behind these things, rather than doing a good job of navigating around them.

Setting aside the casual dismissal of 40 years as the head of a logistics company - one the USPS seemingly chose to pay too much to thru no bid contracting to provide service on USPS' behalf - as somehow unrelated to the business of USPS, the above is long on unspecified "shoulds" and very short on facts or at least citations to research.

Calls for as 5 day/week delivery schedule by the USPS by the Postmaster General go back to at least 2001, and are a constant ribbon thru the testimony of the tlast several postmaster generals. Attempt to raise mailing rates, likewise.

Congress has consistently blocked them, allowed the USPS to skip contributions to retiree plans, while significantly curtailing the USPS ability to borrow yet more money.

So, without funds to pay employees, planes and trains to move mail, a 60% reduction in paid advertising volume, and a continued shift in the nature of the post from envelopes, postcards, and mass mailers to larger packaging, I'm left wondering just what "navigating" you expect of the man?

and if he loses his job over his political efforts to advance the last PotUS' schemes to reduce mail in voting, it wouldn't trouble me in the least - but neither will it fix USPS' seasonal difficulties delivering live animals during a pandemic and record-worthy national weather event, nor will it fix the USPS legacy issues of the past decades. That will take Congress.

Last edited:
Yes, I did comb through back threads but didn't find anything really up-to-date; most were from spring/summer/fall of 2020.

I have a chick order from Meyer set to be hatched and delivered the last week of April. I'm growing concerned with the most recent news about DeJoy warning of NEW postal delays. Has anyone ordered recently, and has the shipping been swift? I'm on the fence as to whether to cancel my order, (but then where can I find what I want? I'm in CT) or do I take my chances?

Thanks for any info/btdt.

astrid
Used to deal with USPS daily, now occasionally.. In the past ordered bees and they showed fine.. Maybe chicks once, but how they fitted her in the box I'll never know.. New Postmaster offered me to test drive her Trike today.. Red hair, fake but how could I say no.. All my hens have been biker chicks. :oops:

Last edited:
Our ducks shipped last night through Cackle, in Missouri. They’re still in Kansas City according to USPS. Cackle said in the shipping notification basically not to “freak out” if you dont see your package moving on tracking. Well, I am concerned. Winter storm in the area and it says Arrival date Friday the 23. I don’t think they’ll survive. ☹️

Our ducks shipped last night through Cackle, in Missouri. They’re still in Kansas City according to USPS. Cackle said in the shipping notification basically not to “freak out” if you dont see your package moving on tracking. Well, I am concerned. Winter storm in the area and it says Arrival date Friday the 23. I don’t think they’ll survive. ☹️
Keep us in the loop, we will keep you in our thoughts.

I have three (much less critical) packages (of 5) coming from Amazon, and USPS seems to be having difficulty tracking them. One, they've already refunded, though according to them it is not yet lost.

Yes, I did comb through back threads but didn't find anything really up-to-date; most were from spring/summer/fall of 2020.

I have a chick order from Meyer set to be hatched and delivered the last week of April. I'm growing concerned with the most recent news about DeJoy warning of NEW postal delays. Has anyone ordered recently, and has the shipping been swift? I'm on the fence as to whether to cancel my order, (but then where can I find what I want? I'm in CT) or do I take my chances?

Thanks for any info/btdt.

astrid
I ordered chicks from 2 different hatcheries, both a considerable distance from SW FL.
Delivery was 4 and 5 days in transit.
This was in the beginning of April 2021
All I can say is I hurried and cancelled all my remaining chick orders.
It is not joyful to open a box or two of dead and dying chicks.
USPS is progressively getting worse in delivery time and customer service.
JMHO :(

I ordered chicks from 2 different hatcheries, both a considerable distance from SW FL.
Delivery was 4 and 5 days in transit.
This was in the beginning of April 2021
All I can say is I hurried and cancelled all my remaining chick orders.
It is not joyful to open a box or two of dead and dying chicks.
USPS is progressively getting worse in delivery time and customer service.
JMHO :(
Very sad, reports earlier this month were (anecdotally) suggesting that they weren't seeing delays anything like the earlier quarter of this year.

My chicks are on their way to me in Minnesota from Ohio through MyPetChicken. They shipped yesterday and I have a tracking number, but the tracking is either not up-to-date or the chicks are still in Ohio. I do think that the tracking is not staying on pace with the package's actual progress, as I think the first two updates were somewhat delayed from when they actually occurred.

My local post office representative (who was super helpful when I called yesterday to notify them I was expecting an order) seemed to indicate that she expected the chicks would be put on a plane between Ohio and here so I'm hoping they fly tonight or are already in our regional sorting facility to move to the local facilities tomorrow morning. I'll update when they arrive. I'm hoping and praying they come tomorrow!

Back
Top Bottom