Utah!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Naztrain, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Brad..how old is your little niece? Sounds about right..a lot of little ones don't like the car to stop. :)

Your sister got married? How exciting. That had to so much fun to see your sister get married. Were you all decked out in a tux? Was it formal, or casual? Fun either way..man, your sister got married!

And, how did you thump your thumb?? A sledge hammer? My wordy! A sledge hammer. Wait for that to heal enough to work with. Be careful. Especially where you bruised the bone, and possibly hit a joint. Ice, I-bfrofin, ice, I-brofin........ If you can't bend it, maybe you hit the joint area? Ouch! Take care. Right or left hand? Not sure if you are a south paw our not.

2. Iain Utah

Iain Utah Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2011
    Congrats on the new babies, Cynthia!!!!!!

Happy, thanks! I think her markings are really cool, too! Glad we were able to catch her and the kittens, if only to get them fixed!

3. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    I like the sounds of that, getting animals spayed or neutered. Helps with keeping any unwanted animals ending up homeless or unattended.

Love the fact that there are people out there that keep the breed of an animal going..the right way. No back yard breeding! :D Heard some cats out the other night. Someone has a kitty expecting, and they don't know it yet.

4. sundancenbare

sundancenbare Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2012
    Taylorsville Utah
    I had the pleasure of meeting Daloorashens and her darling family yesterday. Her little boys were sp excited to get the black Cochin and I remembered to bring the red ribbon she won at the fair. I gave her anothe couple of extra chicks I had. They had some blue pain on them. The chicks insist on helping me touch uo the coop with paint so they get interesting colors on their feathers sometimes. It was so fun to see her boys reactions to the chickens. They were wonderful

5. the-bird-man

the-bird-man Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2010
    land of the sun
    she turns a year in nov :) i was very casual, anyone who knows me knows i do not dress up lol. it was good because a year ago she was with a horrible guy who is very hateful to people of a different race than him etc, well she dumped him right before she had their daughter and a few months ago she started dating again and found this amazing single dad, i knew from the second i saw him he would marry her and he did :) and i now have another nephew :D yeah it was my 5lb sledge, i was trying to move a 4x4 into place, i hit right on the joint, left hand. it bled like crazy too. not sure what you mean by south paw? oh it hurts but at least the swelling has gone down a bit :) i was in a brace for a few days too

6. sundancenbare

sundancenbare Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2012
    Taylorsville Utah
    Owww hands hurt when you smash them. Put some DMSO on it, It may help. Congrats on your sis and how sweet you were babysitting

7. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Brad, southpaw..left handed..so, I take it you are right handed since you hurt your left hand..because you were using your right hand and hit the left..

Oh man, so glad your sis found a good guy. I can tell you are very happy for her. Good news, always good to hear good news.

Glad that swelling is down. That helps a lot with pain relief. I take it you didn't go in and get it x-rayed? Or wait, did you? You said that you were in a brace for a while? I'm just glad it's coming along. It's no fun when something happens and we can't get to what we want to. Even if it's just a bad flu or something, I get so upset that I can't go do what I had planned for that day.

Well, my plan now, is, to get some babies outside. They are doing great. The one that I've been watching and helping eat is doing better. Watched it gulp down on some food early this morning.

My Showgirls...one is white..one is a light blue. Not sure if I am seeing a tint of color on top of that..there is a name for that, can't remember right now. Will have to read up later.

Have a great day all....

Catch you off and on, I like to come in and peek to see what's up.

Like, Spinx..I don't think I told you that is great news on the blue eggs being viable! Now, I don't remember who the daddy would be? It will interesting to see what the babies will look like.

8. the-bird-man

the-bird-man Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2010
    land of the sun
    yeah i got a xray, its how they know my bone is badly bruised :) i keep rubbing comfrey on it so that is helping :)

9. kimmypie

kimmypie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Utah
    I don't know what's wrong with me but I keep looking at chickens on KSL. We have 8, other than the EE's they should all be good layers but now I'm finding I want more eggs! Right now with 4 layers we get 2-4 eggs a day, usually just 2 or 3. So when we have 8 laying and it's winter...yikes, how will that affect them? Most of them should be good winter layers though. I have one each of Speckled Sussex, Buff Orpington, Welsummer, Black Sex Link, Barred Rock, Exchequer Leghorn and two Easter Eggers. My husband really wants a frizzle, my youngest wants a fluffy chicken, my oldest wants a Polish. Yikes, I can see where chicken math is a problem!

On KSL i was just reading one ad and the lady said that all chickens virtually stop laying after two years. How true is that? I don't plan on using supplemental light in the winter because from what I've read chickens have a finite number of eggs and if they are able to slow down in winter they will lay longer overall? I don't know. We don't have an easy way to hook up electricity to the coop. It's also only 4x8 (so technically we're at capacity) but the run is 14x15 and they are rarely in the coop at this point. I know that could be different in the winter, but we live in Eagle Mountain and never get as much snow as anywhere else in Utah. Now that I said that we'll get a ton, but if people in SLC get 4-6 inches we get a skiff. Also they are on the north part of our lot so that is the part that thaws first.

So yeah, who has coop ready chickens? LOL

10. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Well, I don't have silkie ready babies, but will. If they do well, they will be partridge..so there is a fluffy. :)) And, I happen to have a buff Polish left out of the polish. They are babies but should be ready by winter.

I do have an EE, I know you have EE's, but she is just over a month old, has been outside and living with my two silkies, and another small pullet..a red sexlink. No lights. She wont' be laying for a while, but she is coop ready. Not sure I am much help. I know on ksl, that's what most folks are looking for, those laying hens.
    I use a heat lamp in my coops. I like getting eggs through the winter..and that Exchequer should be laying in a while, and she should lay right through the winter.
    My leghorn is laying every day, and I am seeing white feathers all over..she is going through a small moult for now, not sure how bad she will get, her bum is getting bare though.
    Yes, they do usually start to slow down on the egg laying around the age of 2 years. But, not leghorns. They will lay for quite a few years. Anyway, that's why I don't mind using lights in the winter. They will start slowing down whether you have lights or not..so I understand? Plus, if you get a fluffy,/Silkie, or a Polish, they need a warm lamp, which I count as light. We don't have a real easy way either to hook up for lights and heat, but we do have an outdoor outlet, so we run an extension cord that is 50 ft. and we just run it across the yard. It's worth it to me, I like getting eggs through the winter.

[​IMG]

So, let me know if you are interested in another EE..she is black, she came from a blue/green egg..who knows what she will lay..maybe more green, or more blue. She's a pretty tough little one. Gets right in there for food, even though the Silkies will push off the both of them. They just come back around behind them. I think they've learned that the Silkies can't see too well with all that feathering around those eyes. :))
    Hope that helps a little..I went here and there every where.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by