Utah!

When you get a brinsea, there's instructions on how you calibrate it. I calibrated mine, and when I compared it with dh's super scientific thermometer from the lab at work, it was dead on.

Hattie, I think it's good to email the breeder about all of the leg issues. It could be a nutrition issue. I'm more inclined to believe it's an incubator issue, but you never know.

Whittni, those chicks are going to be absolutely gorgeous when they grow up. And I love your lovebird. I'm trying to convince myself not to buy a canary.

Oh, also. There's a little bantam rooster that is at the Cache Humane Society if any of you are interested in it. http://www.cachehumane.org/animals/adoptable-small-animals/

I would argue that it's probably NOT good with dogs. I think that'd be a bad combination. I have friends who work there, and they said he's really sweet and tame.

Hattie is there anyway your bator temp could be a tad too low? Can they be adjusted at all? That would explain the late hatching. Just a guess here! I have definitely read reviews on those Brinsea bators that they can run low and cause late hatches. Which in turn can cause different health issues but not sure which kinds. I think I remember someone saying too high temps cause messed up toes, and too low can cause joint issues but don't quote me on that. I am reaching into the depths of my memory and that is a scary thing. Hope that chicks leg gets better.

Cynthia, what an awful thing, that poor guy must be hurting. More prayers for you and Richard.!

Here is my thinking.... I just incubated 12 polish out of this incubator all were fine with no leg problems. The only thing I did was take my little blue eggs out and put them into another smaller incubator while the Polish went into lockdown. Maybe that was what happened. I have really never had a problem with my little incubators but I never calibrated it before using either. I'm going to now. I just hope I don't mess with something that doesn't need to be messed with.

Cynthia, I know you offered your denagard up too, but you're so far away. I did receive mine in the mail today. I put it in their water, and added a little bit of orange soda. They always go straight for the water and drink like they're dying when I refill it, even if it was half full. In this case, I'd let it empty out today so I'd feel good about the dosing being proper. As I've read around, everyone says you can still eat the eggs while they're being treated. Do you agree with this, or do you toss them?

I think it's good I have some denagard on hand. It sounds like it's some really nifty stuff.

Cynthia, I'm so sorry that your son's leg is worse and that he's in pain. I hope he starts improving soon.

I've had pretty good luck with feather sexing BCM, but Lisa's are kind of backwards sometimes.

Today I bought a big fake owl to stick in my hen house. I'm hoping it'll scare off all of the birds that are eating all of my chicken feed.

All 7 of my legbar eggs are still alive and kicking. I'm a little shocked because I set one that was slightly cracked, and I set another that spent 8 or 9 days in the fridge prior to being set.

I eat the eggs while treating. And like Dawg says..I'm still here. :) Not supposed to have a with drawl time because it's safe. Some people will eat the eggs after treating with other well known drugs, and have no problems. I think the biggest thing with the others is, that most have penicillin in them, and some people are allergic, or could be and not know it. I personally can't see that much of the penicillin getting into an egg, but I can't take any chances..because it's been said, and I am allergic to penicillin. :/

You have to let us know how that big fake bird works! I am so tired of those sparrows! I watched the Swedish Flower chase off a few today, I had to chuckle. The chickens are as tired of being bothered by them as I am having them eat their food.
Oooo, little legbars. Lucky! I am so glad to hear that you have some kicking and alive after being in the fridge. I think that's how these eggs coming are going to feel like when they arrive.

Hey, it's snowing out there! In case no one noticed! I am thinking Lisa should stay home on Sat. You never know though, maybe the roads will be clear enough. ?

Does anyone know were to get BLRW eggs? I want a hen so bad. If i remember someone bought a breeding pair from Rebecca in Lehi. Looking for some with more blue then red.

Always a chatty group, you people are!!! I 've been working a lot and am now WAY behind on all my threads... shessh!! I had to skip through the pages, but I can see LOTS of CUTE chick pics!!! Really hoping to post some of my own soon!!

If that cuckooo marans hen was covered by a blue wheaten roo, if I understand that sex-linked thread correctly, those chicks could be sex-linked... so the ones with the white spots would be roos, the solid ones would be pullets... do they all have spots, Lisa?? Because I think the wheaten gene is considered red in a black sex-link cross... you MUST have a barred hen to make black sex links... pretty fascinating stuff!!

And Cynthia... what happened to your son??

Madchicken... there is a breeder up here in ID that has show quality BLRW's.... oh dear, what is their name?? BRB and post their name...

It is COLD here!!! Won't be setting any more eggs or requesting any of my spring shipped eggs for quite a little while, probably at least 6 weeks... might try setting some of my own sooner, we'll see what the temps do...

Ok.... that wyandotte breeder is chickenhill chickenhillpoultry.com not sure when they start sending eggs...

Last edited:
Mesha thanks so much for that info, I did not know that about Wheatens! That is COOL! I am glad you saw our posts and responded, if Blujems eggs hatch then this will be so helpful. I think this is right because I picked out the girlie one of the 4, and it is the only one with no spot. AND her feathers sex female...the others look male.

Blujems, so these next ones you are sure the dad is the Wheaten right? Does the mom lay darker than Jezibel? If so, I would love to get a girl chick from your hatch if you have an extra. Better chance at olive or green eggs. I hope you get lots with no white spots on their heads. How cool is that if they are sexed link like Mesha is thinking....no more guessing on babies!

Mesha thanks so much for that info, I did not know that about Wheatens! That is COOL! I am glad you saw our posts and responded, if Blujems eggs hatch then this will be so helpful. I think this is right because I picked out the girlie one of the 4, and it is the only one with no spot. AND her feathers sex female...the others look male.

Blujems, so these next ones you are sure the dad is the Wheaten right? Does the mom lay darker than Jezibel? If so, I would love to get a girl chick from your hatch if you have an extra. Better chance at olive or green eggs. I hope you get lots with no white spots on their heads. How cool is that if they are sexed link like Mesha is thinking....no more guessing on babies!

yes this hen has only been with the wheaten rooster....and yes her eggs are darker. I will take a pic so you can see the difference. I am excited for them to hatch.

If you hand turn the eggs how often do you turn them?

yes this hen has only been with the wheaten rooster....and yes her eggs are darker. I will take a pic so you can see the difference. I am excited for them to hatch.

If you hand turn the eggs how often do you turn them?

I roll mine when I wake up, several times throughout the day, at least 3 or 4, maybe up to 6 or 7, then when I go to bed. Then I stop rolling them 4-5 days before they hatch.

Now I am pretty excited about you having olive eggers hatching lol. And sex-linked ones at that. Oh my! ;)

Last edited:
Update to a point. Talked with his nurse and waiting for a call back. She said his white blood cell count is up this morning. I asked her if she had looked at his leg. She said no, she was aware of the colitis, pneumonia, and hip infection, but not anything about the leg. I told her to go look, because he had said it was more swollen than when he was admitted. She said she would call right back. That was about a half an hr. ago! She said she would let the dr. know that I want to talk with him too.

Dalooras..my son has Spina Bifida. He has had problems of and on throughout his life. At first it was mostly orthepedic surgeries. Then the bladder. Then always has had bladder and Kidney infections. Oh my goodness. I should tell them to check for that! Going to call them back! Thanks for asking Dalooras..how could I forget that????!

Lisa this is 2 of her eggs next to a FBCM (pic doesn't really show how dark they are but you get the idea)...They were very dark and shiny when she started laying they are a little lighter now but still a pretty brown.. and the FBCM eggs just keep getting darker.

Cynthia, hope they get your son feeling better. Are you feeling better yet?
Um Lisa, where are the pics of the black chicks? Did you forget?

I am amazed at the mess these 3 make. I am thinking the bottom one is a rooster (course I am usually wrong). He is brave and comes close to me the others run away.

Back
Top Bottom