Utah!

Its illeagle to ship eggs or chicks without Npip USPS does ship chicks
Yes, and technically some states also require an entry permit and/or a health certificate. For example, to import INTO Utah -

All poultry entering Utah require the following:
  1. Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (Health Certificate) or National Poultry Improvement Plan VS Form 9-3
  2. Import permit
  3. Current NPIP number
  4. If no NPIP number, then a negative blood test for salmonella pullorum within the last 30 days is required

For those who get chicks shipped, has anybody received any paperwork like that on their chick boxes? All birds imported into Idaho need a current Certificate of Veterinary Inspection. I've had birds shipped to me from Florida, Georgia, and Texas. NONE of the boxes (chicks and started/adult birds) had any kind of number or vet paperwork. NPIP flock owners are supposed to document all shipments and provide the required paperwork with the shipment. In all my time keeping poultry, I have received only one NPIP document and that was for a box of hatching eggs from Oregon.

That being said, I'd be scared to ship birds without being NPIP certified. It would be my luck that the box would be seized and the babies would die.

Sundancen, Glad you made it back home from your trip ok. As much as I hate the idea on a personal level, I wonder if maybe a change in locale would be better for your lungs, and you'd be closer to grandkids.

Red, I've never heard of biscuits with an egg in them. I'd love the recipe too. Ah, I see you shared. Cream of tartar too? I can't wait to try it- very interesting ingredients.

I think the denagard is a great idea for the sick chicken. I hope she gets better soon.

I just spent the last few days around Goblin Valley on a big family camping trip. My mother in law's brother and sister were there, along with their partners (all flew in from NY), my sister in law and her family and my parents were all there. It was a TON of fun. Hard to be out of cell service. While I was gone, I got several blue eggs. I hadn't gotten any eggs in a good 10 days, so this was interesting. They're a gorgeous shade of blue. I figure it's either my super blue from Cynthia, or MAYBE my legbars that I hatched back in May are starting to lay. Either way, they had to be tossed because I gave everyone Wazine last Monday. Wednesday afternoon, I came home and found 4-5 of my chickens wandering around my yard. Considering my coop is completely enclosed, this was a shock. I caught all but one. Couldn't get her. So, I let everyone out, hoping she'd re-join the flock and go to bed.

Well, bedtime came and I was out picking up a pizza, and I wasn't there to watch where everyone went to sleep. I go out to the pitch black, and about half my chickens are NOT in the hen house. I find a couple in the shed, and look around the yard with a flashlight for an hour before giving up. Thursday morning, I found everyone else. Unfortunately, my little legbar rooster was dead. So, I am down to one rooster now.

Yes, and technically some states also require an entry permit and/or a health certificate. For example, to import INTO Utah -
All poultry entering Utah require the following:
  1. Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (Health Certificate) or National Poultry Improvement Plan VS Form 9-3
  2. Import permit
  3. Current NPIP number
  4. If no NPIP number, then a negative blood test for salmonella pullorum within the last 30 days is required
For those who get chicks shipped, has anybody received any paperwork like that on their chick boxes? All birds imported into Idaho need a current Certificate of Veterinary Inspection. I've had birds shipped to me from Florida, Georgia, and Texas. NONE of the boxes (chicks and started/adult birds) had any kind of number or vet paperwork. NPIP flock owners are supposed to document all shipments and provide the required paperwork with the shipment. In all my time keeping poultry, I have received only one NPIP document and that was for a box of hatching eggs from Oregon. That being said, I'd be scared to ship birds without being NPIP certified. It would be my luck that the box would be seized and the babies would die.
UGH! This is entirely too complicated. UGH! Sphinx, so sorry about your roo. Glad everyone else is accounted for, crazy!

Casa--
By any chance does the hen's face have a sickly sweet smell so it would be Coryza? Denagard is powerful for treating CRD caused by Mycoplasma, but if she has Coryza she'll need something else.
Of the three birds of mine with CRD (which I think was caused by MG, Coryza & other problems, too), only one ever developed an eye problem, and it was from Coryza (I could tell by smell on that hen) & just in one eye, along with mucus in mostly one nostril, as well as gurgly breathing. My hen's eye was quite watery/runny, though, & Penny's eye looks pretty dry.
Terramycin ointment cleared up my hen's eye with just a few days of treatment, & you can buy that at IFA for $17. But I'd make a wild guess that a little powdered tetracycline medicine mixed in a little water might work, too. Though it may be that the powder wouldn't be safe around eyes--dunno?

Last edited:
I'm glad everyone is OK. It was getting kind of quiet around here. I just got back from Price. I spent my whole weekend tearing off and old roof and re-sheeting it. Next week iam going back to shingle it. FUN...NOT. I have a couple cousins that think i am their own personal free labor free handy man. But i guess its my own fault cause i don't charge them. I thought i might have convinced one of my cousins into buying some of my chicks but she ended the conversation with "Your a crazy chicken person". Sigh.....But there is always next weekend, right.

Last edited:
I rather hope shipping paperwork restrictions never get enforced for small shipments.
hide.gif
Or if they do, I certainly hope they're checked when the shipment is presented to the post office before the package is accepted for shipment.

Back
Top Bottom