Utah!

My Silkie is home. Walked outside this morning and she was pacing up and down the gate. Let her in and she went right to the box and started re-arranging her nest. Little stink. Too bad her adventure didn't change her mind on being a mom. I don't know what to do. I really don't want to give her eggs, its starting to get cold.

I'll give you some Serama eggs and take the chicks back if you would like.

I'll give you some Serama eggs and take the chicks back if you would like.

Giving her the eggs isn't the issue. She was a good mom last time too, and I'm not really worried about finding homes for new chicks either. Its just getting cold, and I would hate the thought of a momma outside in the cold with some babies. My husband was all like we could always rig something up in the garage since its just the tiny Silkie after her chicks are born. I do have an extremely ex large wire dog crate that is 4 by 4 that I could easily put her and some chicks inside the garage in to keep them out of the weather. Its just the thought of them being outside in the cold. And if I do that, I would totally give you back the chicks, even though I've always wanted a tiny Serama running around. Haven't had one of those yet. I just don't know how long she will want to be mom with them. She was mom for 6 weeks till the others vanished, and I question the neighbor boys. The gate is now locked, the only issue is when I let them free range. And it took her about 2 weeks to start laying again. Got maybe 6 eggs and she went back to sitting. I hate seeing her sit like that too. At least its not the middle of the summer again, and its not as hot in the box.

I just down sized 4 and I'm at 8 adult birds and 4 pullets, and then the 3 babies. And the yard seems so empty. But the girls are doing good in their new home, the lady texted me photos of them. They are the only 4 in a huge yard all to themselves. I still miss them. She lives over by my inlaws, so I might have to do a drive by to check on them. I know they are just chickens, but I miss them. I hated that I needed to down size the older girls. But I'm only allowed 12 from what I was told. But don't tell anyone one. I'm still over my limit. HeHe

I have these juveniles that I'm trying to figure out who the hens are. Anyone want to guess. Rooster is a Silkie. I think i have narrowed the choices down. They were just random eggs that i gave the broody hens to sit on.
I'm thinking this one is either from my B-RIR or B-BSL(Bantam/LF cross).

and this one B-RIR, LF BLRW, or B-EE. This is the best picture of her.

I have these juveniles that I'm trying to figure out who the hens are. Anyone want to guess. Rooster is a Silkie. I think i have narrowed the choices down. They were just random eggs that i gave the broody hens to sit on. I'm thinking this one is either from my B-RIR or B-BSL(Bantam/LF cross). [COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR] and this one B-RIR, LF BLRW, or B-EE. This is the best picture of her.
What color is the silkie dad? Then we can figure out the possible color combinations with the mamas. The black (first) one has the red on its shoulders...does that mean its a boy?

The rooster is my Splash. But he does have some hidden colors in his breeding that would account for the partridge chicks that i get from him. As far as the red I'm not sure. I looked at it real close tonight and i don't see any rooster feathers coming in but the red is making my think rooster. And it still follows the hen around and sleeps next to her at night, also a rooster behavior that i have noticed from other roos as chicks.

Splash typically cannot have black chicks...so the other colors in the parent stock of the dad make sense why that first chick is black....pretty chicks.. I love the chicks with a silkie parent because they get the cute little hats :love I definitely would think the blackie is a roo with all the red coming in... On the gray one does it have a pea comb by chance? Then you would know the EE was the mom? i don't know how else you could tell for sure. :idunno

It looks like it does have a pea comb and when it stands it has the same body type as my EE (also bluish grey in color). It also loves to fly up in the bushes. The other ones has a weird shaped comb. My BSL came from a rose comb hen and a single comb rooster.

Good to see you, Sundance! Liz, I hope you get feeling better.

Thanks for the input, Iluv.

Gary, I would guess BLRW on the parentage of your second chick. The coloring just looks similar to me.

Last edited:
It looks like it does have a pea comb and when it stands it has the same body type as my EE (also bluish grey in color). It also loves to fly up in the bushes. The other ones has a weird shaped comb. My BSL came from a rose comb hen and a single comb rooster. 
I have an EE that same color...smoky gray with the orange around the trunk :D I guess if you get a blue/green egg you will know for sure! My bet is on that one.

Back
Top Bottom