Utah!

Yes, her 2 babies disappeared at about 6 weeks old. And they were big enough that they weren't fitting through any holes in our fence. I don't have any idea where they would have gone too, and my girls have never gotten out besides our Japanese Bantam that I re-homed, she went to someone that lived on 3 acres, so she could roam more if she wanted too. I don't know. I hope someone didn't come take her. I looked everywhere. We looked in all the bushes on our block, I talked to just about everyone on our street, and we looked under all the coops too. We just re-did our drive way with gravel, and it looks great, but there is no longer hiding spot done our side yard at all. And Gary, you've been over, we put sod down up that hill back there for the girls, and its growing really good, they might get to go mow it this week. So I don't know where she could be hiding. :( I'm really sad. I hope she turns up, and decides not to be broody anymore.

Aw that one is turning out just beautiful! Wish it would be a girl, dang! Is it crowing yet? Boo! If it is male it would make a great breeder, comes from some really nice show birds.
I agree it would make a beautiful breeder. Its extremely soft to, more so then some of my older silkies. It's getting thicker and thicker feathering to. I am really sad that it's looking like a boy :( I was soo excited about having this color and it's looking so nice. Do you know anyone who might be wanting to improve their partridge stock? I bet he'd be perfect. Is your offer still open about giving me a female if this one turned out to be a roo? I can of course pay for it or give him back to you. I would love any different color even if it's just a slight difference. Im just trying to collect all different colors and ones with nice round crests. It hasent crowed yet but ive gotten good at the guessing game and can tell this one is probably 90% a roo and it's easier to place him in a home before he's crowed, since not many people want roo's. So they could choose to continue watching him to see for sure, or not. Im just personally feeling confident that it is, the more I watch it. And its such a bummer cause I was so excited about this lil one. But i'm used to it. It's just all part of owning silkies, having to play the guessing game.

So I think my neighbor boys that are about 8 years old or so came over today and let my girls out.  My neighbor brought back a chicken he said both my gates were wide open.  They have been coming over a lot lately to play with my daughter, and they usually go with her to collect eggs.  I asked them about it, but they both said no.  Anyways, I'm missing my porcelain Silkie that has been broody for almost a full week.  She was in the box yesterday morning when I last really noticed her, and now she is gone.  I asked the neighbor if he might have saw her, but he said he only saw the one black one, and she was still in my side yard just around the front.  He picked her up and just put her around the first gate, because the rest was there, and shut the gate.  I'm so sad, where could she have gone.  We walked the block with the help of the boys, looking in all the bushes, I was thinking maybe she found a new broody spot.  But no luck.  The boy swear that it wasn't them in the chickens, my husband was like maybe someone came over and stole her.  I've sold 4 of my older girls over the last few days, and I've had a few ask about buying my Silkies and my Marans.   I will be so sad if that is the case, that someone would just come into my yard, 2 gates mind you and steal a chicken.  Everyone cross your fingers she shows back up.  I did stick a lock out there tonight.  Just sad about it. I hope she is okay. 

I went to sleet last night thinking about your sweet girl. Fingers were crossed and prayers were said. Here's hoping she shows up today! I've been lucky but I know it's just a matter of time so knocking on wood right now!

Silly, that's terrible! I have had both adult birds and chicks disappear from my yard before, and not just here in Tooele. Some of it is predator activity, like dogs, but some of it is really fishy, too. That just makes me sick that someone could have come into your yard and grabbed her >:{ What is wrong with people?! Seriously.

I hope you find her in a new, ultra sneaky hiding place. I hate to say it, but I don't think she would have moved unless she was being disturbed. So sorry that you are dealing with this. Do you have access to a game cam you can set up to watch the yard?

Last edited:
I agree it would make a beautiful breeder. Its extremely soft to, more so then some of my older silkies. It's getting thicker and thicker feathering to. I am really sad that it's looking like a boy :( I was soo excited about having this color and it's looking so nice. Do you know anyone who might be wanting to improve their partridge stock? I bet he'd be perfect. Is your offer still open about giving me a female if this one turned out to be a roo? I can of course pay for it or give him back to you. I would love any different color even if it's just a slight difference. Im just trying to collect all different colors and ones with nice round crests. It hasent crowed yet but ive gotten good at the guessing game and can tell this one is probably 90% a roo and it's easier to place him in a home before he's crowed, since not many people want roo's. So they could choose to continue watching him to see for sure, or not. Im just personally feeling confident that it is, the more I watch it. And its such a bummer cause I was so excited about this lil one. But i'm used to it. It's just all part of owning silkies, having to play the guessing game. 

I would be glad to send another to you! My hatch from last week is in the garage. That black one turned out so pretty, I did already sell her....but I have some whites from this last hatch and a blue I think. I have not gotten any more partridge colored ones, my partridge roo is in with my Houdans right now so that the frizzle roo can make sizzles with the silkies. I have some sizzles too if you would like one :D

okay, seeing as this is my first time with molting (well... aside from losing their downy fluff)... Can chickens molt at (approx) 6 months old? I have a light Brahma that has started laying about a month ago.... and I haven't seen an egg from her in a week. She is acting perfectly normal, nothing seeming to bother her... but I notice I'm getting tail feathers, and some other white feathers around my chicken run. So, my guess is she's molting. How long does it usually last? and do I need to get some extra light(heat) out there at night for her since this weather is kind of crazy?

I'd lo
I would be glad to send another to you! My hatch from last week is in the garage. That black one turned out so pretty, I did already sell her....but I have some whites from this last hatch and a blue I think. I have not gotten any more partridge colored ones, my partridge roo is in with my Houdans right now so that the frizzle roo can make sizzles with the silkies. I have some sizzles too if you would like one :D

I'd love to see which of the silkies you have available. Do you have any over a month old? Or are they all recently hatched? I might hold off but would love to see if any of them catch my eye.

I'd lo
I'd love to see which of the silkies you have available. Do you have any over a month old? Or are they all recently hatched? I might hold off but would love to see if any of them catch my eye.

I will pm you some pics later on today :D or it might be in the morning. After work my daughter is in a show tonight so will try to get out there with the camera :D These are all about 1 week old.

I am back in town. Had a nice time but it was hot hot hot. Working on the Serama tabletop show.
can someone tell me how to post a flier on her. When I click the add image icon it doesn't tell me what I need to use. I know it's ctrl something Thanks in advance

My Silkie is home. Walked outside this morning and she was pacing up and down the gate. Let her in and she went right to the box and started re-arranging her nest. Little stink. Too bad her adventure didn't change her mind on being a mom. I don't know what to do. I really don't want to give her eggs, its starting to get cold.

Back
Top Bottom