Utah!

Is it ok to give silkies horse grain? I know it's kinda sugary and didn't know if it was too rich to feed silkies as a snack?
What is horse grain and how much is to much when it comes to sugar? I guess me and my flock didn't get that email. All i know is my flock does a much better job then i could at getting rid of the over ripe fermenting apricots that cover the ground for a month and a half. Not to mention all the apples in the fall, oh ya and all the grapes from the neighbor since she is allergic to them and wont even touch them, and i am talking bucket fulls. Lately its been the sugar plums, it turns into a game of keep away. Am i a bad flock master?
hide.gif

Karen, that is a pretty girl! I love how you can still see the lacing. I have 2 little 3 week old frizzles for sale sale if you are interested. I also have some eggs for that broody if you give in. I only know the difference between a few of the eggs. OE's, white EE. Welsummers and Momo's. I have been getting some small tinted eggs lately and not sure who is laying them. Maybe its one of my LF Cochin's. If so i don't think my Silkie roo is big enough to get the job done, all though it would be interesting right.

I am starting to think everyone is right with the BLRW hen being mom.

:goodpost: LOL I've noticed that!!! Your guys with all of your beautiful birds make me want more. I'd sneak in a few more but think the hubby would notice. He's already having a fit about the eggs my broody's sitting on :)

Hey Gary!!! I am selling my quail flocks. If you want dibs let me know. I have one flock that is a Jumbo Brown Coturnix roo over three brown hens and one white. Then another flock that is a Texas A&M roo over three white hens. I am getting out of the quail business before winter. Too many feeders and waterers to fill and the little eggs are piling up everywhere. They are all 3 months old except the brown roo and he is 11 months old. I sold all the older ones when these started laying.

Anyone else chime in if you are interested ;) Otherwise, Ksl here they come. I super love these little guys, but want to focus more on the bigguns.

Hey Gary!!! I am selling my quail flocks. If you want dibs let me know. I have one flock that is a Jumbo Brown Coturnix roo over three brown hens and one white. Then another flock that is a Texas A&M roo over three white hens. I am getting out of the quail business before winter. Too many feeders and waterers to fill and the little eggs are piling up everywhere. They are all 3 months old except the brown roo and he is 11 months old. I sold all the older ones when these started laying.

Anyone else chime in if you are interested
wink.png
Otherwise, Ksl here they come. I super love these little guys, but want to focus more on the bigguns.
The last roo i had was very aggressive (remember the pictures of the little girl with half her scalp missing). How is the roo in the second group? I do want a little white flock. I love the eye candy!

Hi Everyone!

I apologize for jumping in like this, but y'all have no idea how excited I am to finally join this forum! I'm currently living in the Denver area, but in two weeks we are moving to Hooper, Utah. Going from a tenth acre lot in the suburbs to having a whole acre all to ourselves! Best part is we can finally have BYC after years of hoping and studying all things poultry!

I have an order in with McMurray for a dozen rainbow layer chicks. But I'm hoping to get some chickens locally, maybe some pullets that will start laying soon. Of course I will be checking ksl/craigslist but going that route I also worry about collecting too many chickens from various sources and possibly cross contaminating the flock with viruses and such. I'd love to cancel my order with McMurray if anyone can reccomend somewhere local to get our flock started? Or anyone who is looking to reduce their flock and wants them to go to a good home.

We are looking to take custody of our girls the first week of October. That gives us enough time to move in and build an awesome chicken coop! We are a super hardworking family of 7 that has dreamed of BYC for years. Any chickens we take on will cherished pets! We've had experience babysitting our friends chickens, so while we are still first timers - we do have a small amount of expereince on our resume! :) 

Thanks so much and I'm really looking forward to participating in the forum and learning more from all of you!

Amy 

Welcome! I had two but I am talking with dawn's friends to get them rehomed! If it falls through I'll let you know. And welcome!

Yes we like to share :D haha :D I think most of us on here have chickens that are siblings, or related somehow to each other. One big happy family ;)
ha. Which reminds me... I think I am going to set those eggs. Ugh... What am I thinking!?!?!?

What is horse grain and how much is to much when it comes to sugar? I guess me and my flock didn't get that email. All i know is my flock does a much better job then i could at getting rid of the over ripe fermenting apricots that cover the ground for a month and a half. Not to mention all the apples in the fall, oh ya and all the grapes from the neighbor since she is allergic to them and wont even touch them, and i am talking bucket fulls. Lately its been the sugar plums, it turns into a game of keep away. Am i a bad flock master?
hide.gif

Karen, that is a pretty girl! I love how you can still see the lacing. I have 2 little 3 week old frizzles for sale sale if you are interested. I also have some eggs for that broody if you give in. I only know the difference between a few of the eggs. OE's, white EE. Welsummers and Momo's. I have been getting some small tinted eggs lately and not sure who is laying them. Maybe its one of my LF Cochin's. If so i don't think my Silkie roo is big enough to get the job done, all though it would be interesting right.

I am starting to think everyone is right with the BLRW hen being mom.

Oh, Oh so tempting on the Frizzle chicks, if they were a day old I would see if the dang Silkie would take them. But I've put away all my brooding stuff for the house, and I think my husband would kill me if he comes home from Texas to more chicks in the house. I don't do know what to do with the dang Silkie, and my Cochin Momma has been laying for about a week too, I will die if she goes broody too. I just feel bad that its going to get cold and I don't want the chicks to end up freezing. Do you guys think they would be okay, they are looking to be hatched the end of Sept. beginning of October if I cave in and give her some. Dang broody's! I don't know what you are going to do Iluv next spring, your going to be for it with all your adorable Silkies.

The last roo i had was very aggressive (remember the pictures of the little girl with half her scalp missing). How is the roo in the second group? I do want a little white flock. I love the eye candy! 

So far they seem to get along just fine! They were kind of mean in the beginning but seem to have settled down into their routine. Mr Rooster has made it through puberty to adulthood and seems to be kind to the ladies now. haha :D I have had two get scalped also so I know what you mean. My brown roo from last year did it, and I had another one a few months ago that was like that. So far this white boy seems pretty nice. He likes to fight through the wire sometimes with the other rooster, but just jousting with their beaks.

Ace: Two words. ( do it, do it, do it!) .....I have more eggs you can add to those......hehe.........as many as you can pile in your bator. You can borrow my big one if you want! You could get 40 eggs or so in there! Then I won't be tempted, it's a win, win! How is that for enabling??

Last edited:
Hi Everyone!

I apologize for jumping in like this, but y'all have no idea how excited I am to finally join this forum! I'm currently living in the Denver area, but in two weeks we are moving to Hooper, Utah. Going from a tenth acre lot in the suburbs to having a whole acre all to ourselves! Best part is we can finally have BYC after years of hoping and studying all things poultry!

I have an order in with McMurray for a dozen rainbow layer chicks. But I'm hoping to get some chickens locally, maybe some pullets that will start laying soon. Of course I will be checking ksl/craigslist but going that route I also worry about collecting too many chickens from various sources and possibly cross contaminating the flock with viruses and such. I'd love to cancel my order with McMurray if anyone can reccomend somewhere local to get our flock started? Or anyone who is looking to reduce their flock and wants them to go to a good home.

We are looking to take custody of our girls the first week of October. That gives us enough time to move in and build an awesome chicken coop! We are a super hardworking family of 7 that has dreamed of BYC for years. Any chickens we take on will cherished pets! We've had experience babysitting our friends chickens, so while we are still first timers - we do have a small amount of expereince on our resume! :)

Thanks so much and I'm really looking forward to participating in the forum and learning more from all of you!

Amy

welcome. I would not go the mcmurray route there are a lot of people that have chicks that are older and pullets. Also the local poultry show is the second week in OCT and its up in Hoopers neck of the woods in Davis county

Back
Top Bottom