Utah!

Hello, I haven't been on for quite some time but I have a question because about 8 weeks ago or so I got me some new chicks. There a starting to show there personality and I absolutely love new babies or should I say teenagers. LOL. Well out of 5 of my leghorn chicks I ended up with roosters. I have never had a rooster and now I have two. I have no idea what to do with them, do I have make a different pen for them, can they be with my chickens? Do they eat different food? I might have to give them away because I don't know if I am a rooster person. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

I would recommend checking to make sure you are zoned for roosters, first. If not it could make a lot of trouble for you. Roosters can be obnoxious when they crow all day. I would also suggest rehoming one of them if you intend to have a rooster. They can get very fierce with each other when the hormones kick in :(

They eat the same food and have all the same needs as hens :) They're just boy chickens :) Some can be aggressive to people, some are sweet, some are super "amorous" with hens, others are very gentle. It just depends on the bird.

I wish I could but I'm to attached. LOL!! They are my pets.
roll.png

I wish I could but I'm to attached. LOL!! They are my pets.
roll.png

Nah, can't eat our pets. I know I couldn't unless it was an emergency.
Yes, KSL..free..then they are eaten by someone else! I've gotten past that part. Used to advertise, for breeding only. Ha..I had no idea, but caught on quick.
If you can have roosters, you may want to keep the one that seems to be the sweetest one. Then, when/if you get a broody hen, you will have baby chicks running around. :) That's if you decide to let her sit. You can let her in the spring and summer, but take eggs away if you get a broody in the winter if you don't have a warm place for her and the chicks. It's fun having a mama hen and chicks around. I keep a rooster for a while, then have to place him when he gets to crow too often. Good luck on what ever you decide. I vote..keep one. :)

I eat mine, but I think part of it is I grew up doing it as well. And because we know our chickens are food, we have a strict no naming policy. My daughter took it rough when daddy killed George (our first rooster) when he started getting mean.

I eat some of my birds, but we also go by the no name policy. It can still be hard, though, if you have cared for them and loved them. I still cry sometimes.

Well I am feeling sad tonight. The duckling we brought home seems to be in pain. She breathes like she is wincing or struggling and I think her leg bothers her. Not sure if she has internal problems from whatever attacked her :( She is chilling on my lap right now and seems happy when I'm around her, but I'm worried if she is hurting. I don't want to put her down if she could still live a happy life, but it's upsetting me that she might be hurting. She's so sweet, too. She thinks she needs to groom me when I pet her and she makes cute little squeaky toy noises.

Sigh. I don't know what to do :(

I eat some of my birds, but we also go by the no name policy. It can still be hard, though, if you have cared for them and loved them. I still cry sometimes.

Well I am feeling sad tonight. The duckling we brought home seems to be in pain. She breathes like she is wincing or struggling and I think her leg bothers her. Not sure if she has internal problems from whatever attacked her
sad.png
She is chilling on my lap right now and seems happy when I'm around her, but I'm worried if she is hurting. I don't want to put her down if she could still live a happy life, but it's upsetting me that she might be hurting. She's so sweet, too. She thinks she needs to groom me when I pet her and she makes cute little squeaky toy noises.

Sigh. I don't know what to do
sad.png

Red give me a call I may have some pain medicine you can give her. Are you still working in SLC. Also she may not be in pain but lonesome and thats why she seems to be in pain

Red give me a call I may have some pain medicine you can give her.  Are you still working in SLC.  Also she may not be in pain but lonesome and thats why she seems to be in pain 

Thank you again, Sundance! I am just waiting for DH to be home to help me administer the painkillers to her (she is a very wiggly girl) It's always so good to visit with you guys :)

Back
Top Bottom