Utah!

Thanks for the responses so far in my mystery Ameraucana. Guess we'll have to play the wait 'n see game!

I will be driving to Layton tomorrow if anybody needs a chicken train from Logan to Layton or back. I work until 11am, and have to be in Layton at 3, just so you have a time frame. :)

Lisa! I keep forgetting...no problem on the D'Uccle eggs. :). I'm glad you're getting your SGs!

Thanks for the responses so far in my mystery Ameraucana. Guess we'll have to play the wait 'n see game!

I will be driving to Layton tomorrow if anybody needs a chicken train from Logan to Layton or back. I work until 11am, and have to be in Layton at 3, just so you have a time frame. :)

Lisa! I keep forgetting...no problem on the D'Uccle eggs. :). I'm glad you're getting your SGs!

Hey! Are you coming back tomorrow night or are headed somewhere further? There is a chance Desert is going to stay around Lagoon tomorrow night, she had not dared take her Silver AM for Grey Bird with her because of the family around with the chick overnight in the room....I am wondering out loud here, IF you are headed back to Logan tomorrow night that might be a way for it to get here.... I would need to see if the times work at all. She said she might not be able to make it at all they are breeding horses...but IF it worked, maybe that could be a plan C :)

The D'uccle guy I sent you the link to..sends eggs in really good shape. I got my SG eggs today and the air cells look better than any I have gotten this year by far. Now If I can just NOT mess these up!

Last edited:
My little bantam is going broody again. She only fits about 5 eggs under her, 4 if they are large. Does anyone have any pure eggs that might be fun to hatch? Looking for something a little different but still sale-able. Was thinking about some type of pheasant, chucker, or quail.

Last edited:
Hey! Are you coming back tomorrow night or are headed somewhere further? There is a chance Desert is going to stay around Lagoon tomorrow night, she had not dared take her Silver AM for Grey Bird with her because of the family around with the chick overnight in the room....I am wondering out loud here, IF you are headed back to Logan tomorrow night that might be a way for it to get here.... I would need to see if the times work at all. She said she might not be able to make it at all they are breeding horses...but IF it worked, maybe that could be a plan C :)

The D'uccle guy I sent you the link to..sends eggs in really good shape. I got my SG eggs today and the air cells look better than any I have gotten this year by far. Now If I can just NOT mess these up!

Yes, I'll be coming home :). Will be back around 7pm. I'd be happy to help!

This is what I saw: all of my hens were perfectly healthy. Tuesday night/wednesday morning (can't remember which), I found one of them collapsed on the ground, on her side. Seemed too weak to get up. Diarrhea. When I separated her out, she immediately started eating and drinking from the water/food I gave her. Came back out two hours later to check on her, and found two more in the same condition. One of them was even next to an egg that she'd just laid. I moved all three of them to the leper colony. It's definitely not Mareks- their eyes look totally normal, and one of the hens was vaccinated against them. Plus, their decline was incredibly rapid- they were acting totally fine a couple hours earlier.

The other possibility is poison- dh sprayed roundup on a huge clump of weeds near the pen. I know he was safe about making sure it was nowhere near the chickens, but my kids (and neighbor kids) are in the habit of grabbing a handful and feeding it to the chickens. So I wonder if they were fed that? Last night as I was checking on them, neighbor kids came over with some more food for the birds. Some was just fruit that looked a little too bruised for people to eat, but they had a bag of scraps that had some moldy food in it. I gently told them that moldy food can make my chickens sick.

I haven't gone out to check them yet this morning, but as of last night, they seemed a bit better- not on sides anymore, and have legs under them, but not really getting up at all.

In slightly happier news, my olive egger went broody. It's only the second time ever I've had a chicken go broody, so I decided to give her some eggs and see how she does.

ETA: I just went outside to check on them, and one of the hens is actually standing up, but still looks a little miserable. The other is kind of standing, kind of crouching. All three look significantly better. They still seem to have diarrhea, but even that looks better.

Last edited:
Sphinx, I hope they pull through. Good sign they are standing, not laying now. A bit at a time. Crossing fingers for you..them.

Got this message from McMurray this morning, thought I would share if anybody on here wants to write the email to the USPS, they want to charge extra on animal shipments now. The comments are only being taken for a few more days. I copy and pasted the text part below:

Dear Valued Murray McMurray Hatchery Customer,

It has come to our attention the Post Office is requesting a change to the shipment of poultry through the mail. The following link is a copy of the proposal in PDF form or You can read the proposal on-line at the Federal Register: https://www.federalregister.gov/art...andards-for-live-animals-and-special-handling

They are asking that a Special Handle Fee be charged on every Live Animal Shipment. This proposal would increase the postage amount by $9.00 to $11.95 per box.

The proposal outlines the new fees to be charged but it does not include any new rules to insure us that service would also improve. Nor does it offer how additional funds would address their concerns about; Protection of Postal Service employees, mail and the environment, or animals against death.

Please read the proposed changes and send your comments to the US Post Office. We have included a link to a sample letter (in MS Word) for your use. (Sample Letter Link)

Make your voice heard, do it today. The comment period ends next week May 24. Thank you for your continued support.

CONTACT INFO:

Letters and e-mails must be submitted on or before May 24, 2013, by sending to the below address or Emailed to [email protected], with a subject line of "Live Animals".

The Manager, Product Classification
U.S. Postal Service
475 L'Enfant Plaza SW, Room 4446
Washington, DC 20260-5015

RE: 39 CFR Part 111 New Mailing Standards for Live Animals and Special Handling

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom