Utah!

I am leaving for Sanpete Friday at 5pm. So, I'm hoping I can get Joybells' chickens before then. I am most likely going to be in Brigham City showing houses tonight if that makes the northern part of it easier.

Sundance, I'm sorry that you're still feeling so poorly. I hope you are comfortable with the home you found for the buttons. They are so cute. I feel bad that you don't get to watch them in your home.

Sasha, I just love that little Bonnie. She is so cute!!

Welcome Briansnarr! I have to admit I choose my birds based more on looks and pretty eggs than production levels. LOL If you're looking for work horses, black sex links, RIR and leghorns are your best best. I love my easter eggers (ameraucanas).

Desert, good luck with your foaling. I hope it all goes smoothly. If you don't post pictures of the baby, I will CUT YOU. I love baby horses.

Cynthia, didn't I start the Winco chicken meeting place? LOL

When I went into the school this morning, all seven of my eggs were pipped. Two were pipped towards the ground. Silly birds. Only one pipped in the wrong place. Hoping they all hatch while the kids are there- they are soooooo excited.

LOL..you may have started the Winco meeting place. And we are glad. We hadn't ever shopped there before, but now, if we are going to meet up with someone there, we make a list of things we want in the store! My DH just loves their bulk boxes of granola..sooo much cheaper to guy it that way. It's yummy too. Milk is cheaper, dog food..great store. I need dog food today. :D

Ya I plan on heat lamps everywhere during the winter months. I mostly just would like a variety. I've been leaning towards getting some ameraucanas, barred rocks, cuckoo marans and delaware. Just not sure which would be best for the best egg production.

I don't use heat in my coops, except for the waterer. The blue Andalusian and RIR roo were the only ones that got frostbite. Heavy doses of Vaseline helped with that. EE's are good layers, most ams are not as good. My barred rock and not a GLW, were my first and most consistent layers. I believe the not a GLW is a black sex link. I have baby marans, so I do t know how well they lay. Especially since most of the babies are boys :gig

Speaking of boys, I have decided against wheaten ams. I have two boys and a sister of theirs. Is anyone interested in the two boys? I was going to add sissy to the layers, but I can part with her also if some one is interested. I believe she is blue wheaten.

They are beautiful, and both have so much similar looks to my little Flower. My little girl is extremely heavy feathered her on her legs, you can't even see any of her toes, she's been like that since I got her at 5 days old. She started out solid tan, and then started getting the darker copper and black feathers in. At 6 weeks is when the white started, and she was fully feathered, then her comes white. I thought maybe I stressed her out, by sticking her outside, since she was going white
lol.png
She's turning out to be so beautiful, I just love her to pieces. And yes, she is extremely friendly unless you are bringing her in from the grow out pen over in the longer grass, then she gives you a run for your money to get her out.
That 8 week old chick and the pullet (I forgot she's not quite a year old yet!) are the SAME chicken .
big_smile.png
Just goes to show how much the Calico cochins change over a little bit of time. :)

Ya I was going for looks at first but I decided to go with what produces the most eggs and are cold hardy. I love the easter eggers. If I can find one I will for sure get one. I'm thinking of doing the buff orbingtons, along with a mixture of a few others RIR and probably some delaware hens. Just need some heavy set birds to withstand utahs cold winters. I doblike the barred rocks but I'm worried about their combs getting frostbite. I will have a heat lamp and everything they will need for winter.

Welcome all the newbies. I would recommend that this time of year you get older pullets rather than chicks or ever young hens. That way there is no need to wait too long for eggs. I have whittled down my chicken flock and now have a couple of small coops for sale. I have an A frame and a small one that was bought at cal ranch. Let me know if anyone is interested. They will be sold at a reasonable price. I have not been able to be outside much because of the wind but hope to enjoy being outside in the sun very soon. If anyone is interested in the coops please PM me

I don't use heat in my coops, except for the waterer. The blue Andalusian and RIR roo were the only ones that got frostbite. Heavy doses of Vaseline helped with that. EE's are good layers, most ams are not as good. My barred rock and not a GLW, were my first and most consistent layers. I believe the not a GLW is a black sex link. I have baby marans, so I do t know how well they lay. Especially since most of the babies are boys :gig

Speaking of boys, I have decided against wheaten ams. I have two boys and a sister of theirs. Is anyone interested in the two boys? I was going to add sissy to the layers, but I can part with her also if some one is interested. I believe she is blue wheaten.

Lil--where are the Am's from? Are they from blu? Can't remember :)

Briansnarr--WELCOME!
Ditto on the Barred Rocks being great layers. The best layers I have had are the Golden sex links. BR are a close second, and the BR are more docile by a long shot. The Black Sex links are very docile too and great layers. All do great in the cold.

OK I am having nightmares about my water I have been feeding my chickens.

I can't decide between oxine or ACV. I have tried both. And accidentally not knowing it would probably kill my chickens I mixed them for a few days. All is ok, Thank goodness Speckled HIlls posted on here what I was doing was a bad thing--- but the cinderblock under the waterer smelled crazy so I spent the morning cleaning and scrubbing out everything, now I am starting over. Oxine is cheaper, because so much less is required, about 32 times more ACV has to be used per gallon than oxine, so even though oxine costs more per jug it is less expensive, so I am wanting to go with oxine. Anybody have any pros and cons about either to help me decide? Would love to hear opinions! They have today--PLAIN water lol.

Last edited:
Lil--where are the Am's from? Are they from blu? Can't remember
smile.png

Briansnarr--WELCOME!
Ditto on the Barred Rocks being great layers. The best layers I have had are the Golden sex links. BR are a close second, and the BR are more docile by a long shot. The Black Sex links are very docile too and great layers. All do great in the cold.

OK I am having nightmares about my water I have been feeding my chickens.

I can't decide between oxine or ACV. I have tried both. And accidentally not knowing it would probably kill my chickens I mixed them for a few days. All is ok, Thank goodness Speckled HIlls posted on here what I was doing was a bad thing--- but the cinderblock under the waterer smelled crazy so I spent the morning cleaning and scrubbing out everything, now I am starting over. Oxine is cheaper, because so much less is required, about 32 times more ACV has to be used per gallon than oxine, so even though oxine costs more per jug it is less expensive, so I am wanting to go with oxine. Anybody have any pros and cons about either to help me decide? Would love to hear opinions! They have today--PLAIN water lol.
My Chicks have plain water too. Still not really sure how to mix it with their water and how much to use in a spray bottle to spray out the coop.

Back
Top Bottom