Utah!

Oh man, THAT rooster has to be ok. It cost you a fortune! (with many several-hour trips in gas I figure he is a $100+ roo don't ya think?) At least.
tongue.png
Not including the time traveling and taking off work...
He was so hard to get... Crossing fingers he is ok. Sorry to hear you lost the others....hope they make it through the next couple days it looks so hot down your way!
Yea, at least $100+ with everything I had to go through to get that mistake (of you know who's) corrected. He seems to be okay but you know how fast things happen.

I'm stressing.... would start freezing containers of ice water but DH has the dang freezer full of Popsicles for his grand kids....grrrr
somad.gif

I don't have any.
sad.png
Is that something you can get from IFA?
You have to order it online...it's labeled for swine but has been used for poultry world wide.

Desert, I'm so sorry that you lost a couple to the heat. What kinds were they?

Red, I want to go on the field trip to Desert's!!

Sara, I agree that Denegard is the way to go for that. Rumor has it I'm going to Springville to show houses tomorrow, so I could possibly sell you a bit of mine if you can meet me on my way down or back tomorrow. It can only be ordered on the internet, which is a huge pain.

Yesterday I got a full dozen eggs. That's the first time that's happened.
Congrats on the eggs!!! Yay!!
ya.gif

Field trip???? LOL
lau.gif
You are all welcome. Let me know ahead of time.... chicken train from Corvidae on the Whitmore Welsummers. Plus 6kidsfarm in Erda has 7 feeders for me. Please let me know. Thanks!!

Very sad news Sphinx.... it was that little Legbar roo from you that passed. I was so very attached to him!! I don't name them that young 'cause that's when something always happens to them. The night before, he was sitting on my knee and I was talking to him. He sneezed and I thought it was just dust since I had just been chasing a young orp in the pen. I was so very shocked when I found him later. One little sneeze, and of course the heat. I'm 99.9% sure it was the heat!!! The other one I lost was my Salmon Fav pullet. Still have a roo and a young hen, but both of those loses threw me something awful
hit.gif
. Now I'm super paranoid and am watching them all. Had some big BOs that were puffing and holding their wings out. Panicked, I soaked them in warmish (but cooler than them) water for about 5 minutes each to cool them off. Need to go out and check on them. They were looking at me like WHAT THE HECK?

Last edited:
Sphinx, if you do come down to springville let me know. I just noticed my rooster is coughing too. Does this mean they will always be carrying this disease? I don't know where they could have gotten it from. :( Also can we still use their eggs? What can I do to prevent further infections? Should i seperate them from the others? I dont have another pen though so that could be difficult....

Last edited:
I am SUPER EXCITED!! to get our first egg today from our White Leghorn. I knew she was ready. It is sooooo small but otherwise p-e-r-f-e-c-t. YIPPEEEE! It was so hot today that it may be cooked inside already. I found it after church at ~5PM...so not sure how long it was there. She is my first out of 5 girls that are all 17 weeks tomorrow. So Cool !!!

I'm considering saving up for the UFPA October Show... There's usually some really good birds at the auction. :3

And again, I think I'm going to go the Light Brahma route... But i would hate to give up on my Sizzle... I just can't have two roosters... I do want to start with Sizzles again though, but by the sounds of it, they're really hard to find...

Brian, that Dominique has a longer tail than mine! So help me, they better not have stuck a male in that order! Other than the leghorns.. That sex link is really looking pretty. I think it has the more red I was looking for..lol..you got the one with more color. Very pretty. Is that black NN still going to Lisa?

Sphinx, if you do come down to springville let me know. I just noticed my rooster is coughing too. Does this mean they will always be carrying this disease? I don't know where they could have gotten it from.
sad.png
Also can we still use their eggs? What can I do to prevent further infections? Should i seperate them from the others? I dont have another pen though so that could be difficult....

Have you bought any chicks that hadn't just been hatched, or an older pullet or cockerel from someone? A full grown chicken from someone? Separating the sick ones is a must. Try and find a place for them right away! Go ahead and treat the whole flock with the Denagard. I use a Tbs. for treating an illness, and a tsp. for preventative. Good luck. Sounds like Wendy has some for you.

I know you just got some chicks from me, and a couple came from outside..I don't have any sick chickens..I promise. :))

Last edited:
I'm gonna enter a bird in the Salt Lake County Fair... Does anyone have a leg band? If not, gonna see if they have one at IFA...
My Splash Silkie is crap, my Blue Sizzle is useless, so I'm gonna show my Light Brahma hen... She's still missing feathers on her head but they are coming back so I'll just enter her. The thrill of showing chickens I've not experienced for 5+ years. Then there's also the State Fair and the October Show. ^^

I'm not having any luck selling my birds but they really need to go...

I am SUPER EXCITED!! to get our first egg today from our White Leghorn. I knew she was ready. It is sooooo small but otherwise p-e-r-f-e-c-t. YIPPEEEE! It was so hot today that it may be cooked inside already. I found it after church at ~5PM...so not sure how long it was there. She is my first out of 5 girls that are all 17 weeks tomorrow. So Cool !!!

Congrats! Your leghorn started younger than mine. I am pretty sure mine was close to 5 and a half months. Her egg is now noticeably larger after having been laying for around 3 weeks. Your girl will be giving you some nice sized eggs.

Back
Top Bottom