Utah!

I 'm home. Boy it was hard to come back to this cold weather. My chickens were so happy to see me. The sitter said they have been laying like crazy and he was right.
Soooo many eggs.
the baby chicks that I put under my broodie are big now. I promised my grandchildren that if I come back for a few month I would bring my incubator and hatch a few eggs for them. My lungs had a hard time adjusting from Phoenix to Utah. It was much easier to breathe in Phoenix I'll fill everyone in later

dna sexing is big in the parrot business. its what its mostly used for. see for most parrots dna is the only way to know for sure what their sex is tho some of us have a very good reputation at being able to know just by looks but not everyone has this skill. but with parrots they for the most part get along with the opposite sex better so male humans get along better with female birds better etc so when someone is spending sometimes several thousand dollars on a baby parrot they want to make sure of the sex. most vets that work with birds will do it and you can even do it on your own. most is done by clipping a nail a little short to get a small swab of blood that you send in. blood dna testing is the most common. normally cost about $20. and that can be a lot for a chicken especially when you can tell by looks in short amounts of time. but for parrots its not much. i have heard mixed things on egg shell dna sexing and personally if i was having a dna testing done i would do it by blood :)

Hi all,
Have been reading and watch the group, and see that everyone has been busy. We have also been busy. The girls are laying well and no more dieing. Does anyone know of anyone who is a good chicken sitter in the Magna/West Valley area. We are thinking about a week long vacation.
Getting the coop and girls ready for winter.

Brandi asked me to post these pictures to get input of what is wrong with her chicken. Swollen right eye, the left is normal, it has lost some weight and is congested/snotty.

Hi all,
Have been reading and watch the group, and see that everyone has been busy. We have also been busy. The girls are laying well and no more dieing. Does anyone know of anyone who is a good chicken sitter in the Magna/West Valley area. We are thinking about a week long vacation.
Getting the coop and girls ready for winter.
What does it involve? I work in that area and can feed and water them every evening but as far as locking them up in a coop every night and letting them out in the morning is not feasible. They would have to be confined to a run or be able to put themselves to bed and let them selves out in the morning. . I work monday through friday so depending on their food/water needs it would give you sunday through saterday. Oh ya...all eggs laid during this time would be considered payment and non returnable no matter if they are fertile or not.

Lisa, it sounds like a respiratory thing to me. I found this link on another thread - it covers a lot of chicken illnesses: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
Does she have any Denegard? Vitamins in the water would probably help, too.

Sundance, welcome home! So sorry that you had to come back to the cruddy Utah air, but I'm glad you made it in safely.

I made baking powder biscuits tonight with a fresh egg from one of my girls. Mmmmm. I love those biscuits. They came out all fluffy and crumbly with a light crunch on the outsides. I'm so used to seeing them as more of a whitish color because of store bought eggs. With eggs from my girls, they look like cornbread! It makes me worry for a split second when I look at them, funny enough.

Last edited:
Brandi asked me to post these pictures to get input of what is wrong with her chicken. Swollen right eye, the left is normal, it has lost some weight and is congested/snotty.

I Wonder if she has something i her eye? her comb is still red and and she seems to look like she is not lethargic. My Handicap rir "Little Red" had that same look in one of her eyes. She is blind in that eye now i think. Mine was from a hatchery and has many bad breeding defects. Is this hen from a breeder? Weird that her left side is normal but not her right side. Poor girl
sad.png

Red, will you send me a pm with the recipe for the biscuits. My dad used to make them for us when i was a little kid. My dad grew up on a large cattle ranch in carbon county and never made it thought school but became a great cook. He even made it a career in WWII and after the war for the Utah State Prison. Unfortunately due to his lack oh education he didn't keep recipes very well but knew every ingredient in his head. Maybe i could try to make them and have a flash back of a 15 year old boy sitting next to a fire with his younger brothers and their horses digging through their saddle bags trying to make a meal.
smile.png

My "Little Bird" had the very same "EYE" thing. But she was a 4 week old chick when it happened.
It remained that way for 2 weeks. She started sneezing soon after the eye thing and at like 9 weeks she is not over it.

I cannot believe she is still alive.
She is not allowed to live with the flock because she will always carry the Respiratory Disease.
But she is my favorite chicken ever! We sit and read for hours.

Last edited:
I Wonder if she has something i her eye? her comb is still red and and she seems to look like she is not lethargic. My Handicap rir "Little Red" had that same look in one of her eyes. She is blind in that eye now i think. Mine was from a hatchery and has many bad breeding defects. Is this hen from a breeder? Weird that her left side is normal but not her right side. Poor girl
sad.png

I hatched this girl a long time ago. Not hatchery. I am wondering if she has something in her eye too. She really needs to be told by a vet what would work. I'm taking some Denagard over to her today. Not sure this girl is going to make it. None of her other chickens are sick, just this girl..so, something other than respiratory is up. She is so sad...she's had her a long time, has been crying over her Penny.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom