Utah!

I live in roy and am very new to raising backyard chickens. From my understanding the city is currently working on an ordinance to allow them. What are people's feelings on the likelihood of this going through. I am currently raising some chick's in the hopes that everything will be sorted out before they go outside. How many of you are successful in keeping chickens within roy city, or is there simply too much backlash?

Hi Yodatech! We're in Roy too and part of the group working to change the ordinance. I'm happy to say the planning commission voted unanimously on May 10th to send the proposed ordinance back to the city council for a vote. This year we have the verbal support of 3 of 5 council members so hopefully when it's on the agenda, it'll pass.

Fingers crossed, it'll be on the agenda for the May 17th council meeting but they don't post the agenda until Friday afternoon before the meeting. If you're able to go, the meetings are at 6 pm and we'd love to have another person showing their support. The more people present, the better. FYI I've learned a lot of the city's dirty laundry from going to council meetings and reading minutes the past few years.

Hi Yodatech! We're in Roy too and part of the group working to change the ordinance. I'm happy to say the planning commission voted unanimously on May 10th to send the proposed ordinance back to the city council for a vote. This year we have the verbal support of 3 of 5 council members so hopefully when it's on the agenda, it'll pass.

Fingers crossed, it'll be on the agenda for the May 17th council meeting but they don't post the agenda until Friday afternoon before the meeting. If you're able to go, the meetings are at 6 pm and we'd love to have another person showing their support. The more people present, the better. FYI I've learned a lot of the city's dirty laundry from going to council meetings and reading minutes the past few years.

I was at the public hearing the other day with you folks. My name is Jeremy, hopefully it all goes through.

so i learned something crazy. did you know you can cross a chicken and a pheasant and get actual offspring from them? looks like they would be fertile too. chickens have even been crossed with quail using artificial ways. you can even cross them with peafowl a guineas. someone in a facebook group i am in has fertile eggs from a chicken and pheasant. its crazy. may not be so natural but it does happen naturally except with the quail.

Oh wow, I have good timing! I haven't been around for awhile, but I also have some roosters I need to get rid of. We let a broody hen hatch some chicks and now they've just started crowing so I know which are boys. I've got three that I need to get rid of. I'm fine with eating them, but neither my husband nor I is keen to do the actual killing part. Does anyone know if there's a place in the SLC Valley that would do it for me? Or is there someone here who would do it in exchange for one or two of them?

so i learned something crazy. did you know you can cross a chicken and a pheasant and get actual offspring from them? looks like they would be fertile too. chickens have even been crossed with quail using artificial ways. you can even cross them with peafowl a guineas. someone in a facebook group i am in has fertile eggs from a chicken and pheasant. its crazy. may not be so natural but it does happen naturally except with the quail.

In a way, that doesn't surprise me because jungle fowl are part of the pheasant family. But still very cool :)

Our little duck seems to be doing better, thanks to the generosity of Sundancen. You should have seen my husband's face the other night when I told him I had to give the duck a shot.

Me: I need your help with the duck.
DH: Okay, for what?
Me: I need you to hold her so I can give her a shot.
DH: Are you kidding me?
Me: No. She needs some painkillers.
DH: (slightly disgusted) Oh my gosh.....(walks into the other room) Sure, make me be the bad one and hold her!

In a way, that doesn't surprise me because jungle fowl are part of the pheasant family. But still very cool
smile.png

Our little duck seems to be doing better, thanks to the generosity of Sundancen. You should have seen my husband's face the other night when I told him I had to give the duck a shot.

Me: I need your help with the duck.
DH: Okay, for what?
Me: I need you to hold her so I can give her a shot.
DH: Are you kidding me?
Me: No. She needs some painkillers.
DH: (slightly disgusted) Oh my gosh.....(walks into the other room) Sure, make me be the bad one and hold her!

lol give her another one today Glad she is doing better

Oh wow, I have good timing! I haven't been around for awhile, but I also have some roosters I need to get rid of. We let a broody hen hatch some chicks and now they've just started crowing so I know which are boys. I've got three that I need to get rid of. I'm fine with eating them, but neither my husband nor I is keen to do the actual killing part. Does anyone know if there's a place in the SLC Valley that would do it for me? Or is there someone here who would do it in exchange for one or two of them?
Sure, bring them over. ;-) I'm in Kearns.

*****not a professional, just a willing friend.
I have processed 9 Ducks and 2 Chickens in my adult life. (Chickens were just done this morning, dressed out at 7lb 3oz and 7lb 11 oz Nice! )
It went well.

I want to build a chicken plucker in the future but for now, all is done by hand.

Anyone that wants to "re-home" a rooster is welcome to bring him over. (Note new home will be freezer camp, I love chickens, I eat chickens)

has anyone on here built their own chicken plucker? Looking for helpful hints before I jump into this project. Also someone on here said they would have meatie chicks.....I don't remember who. Im ready for my next batch ;-)

Hey guys! I am up in Logan. Does anyone have or know of anyone with fertile turkey eggs?

Are you one Facebook? If you are, check the Utah/Idaho chicken connection page. I just sold two hens to someone up your way who also had toms about a month ago.

Isadora, congrats on the meaties! Those are a good weight :) Ours are getting just about big enough for camp. DH keeps picking them up and checking their weight, haha.

Back
Top Bottom