Utah!

I am so sorry for what happened to you eggs. It is so much more than just an egg! I will not do shipped eggs anymore. A couple of years ago I purchased eggs off of eBay and went to the post office and told them I was expecting a package and what was in it and please DO NOT BUT IN THE GANG BOX DELIVER TO MY HOME. I wrote this in a note. I stopped the letter carrier and told her the same thing. The box was clearly marked fragile fertile eggs. Guess what they put them in the hot gang box for most of the day! I try to not use the post office when ever I can. They are truly the unqualified led by the uncaring.
So the mailman finally came with the eggs, and this is what the post office so kindly did to my rather expensive cream legbar eggs-- so sad. Three are completely smashed. Two are cracked down a ways toward the bottom. And two look like they might be useable, assuming they don't have too much bacteria growth from being coated with a thick layer of egg yolk. I should just give up on shipped eggs and order chicks. I'm so upset about this. I was totally looking forward to these eggs for days now.
hit.gif

I write my congress man along with a complaint, Jason Chazetts if over the post office too. I always tell him he should close the West Jordan Post office. But, It does not help to complain because the PO feels well who else are you going with!
That is horrible! And USPS employees wonder why their jobs are getting cut Fedex and UPS just seem to have it down a little better, at least when we have had deliveries. Our mailperson is not on the ball at all. Hope I am not offending anyone on here if they work at the post office.
roll.png

Donna I feel so bad for you. THose eggs are so expensive. You should call the postmaster, and file a complaint. It would get your mailpersons attention, I bet they are more careful at least on their end from now on.
Red, Donna, hope you guys feel better soon. Ditto on the griping, it feels good to vent sometimes, I do not mind at all, I am interested in the ongoings of my chicken friends' lives! Remember--'as the egg turns'---lol We have our own little soap opera.
Donna If the eggs make you feel bad---look at the chicks. That is the happy place
smile.png

Welcome, Chickundercover!!!!

Oh no, I'm so sorry about the eggs, Corvidae!!! To get that on top of being so sick? That is so unfair. Do you feel like they were packed adequately? I could be blowing smoke, but it seems to me that if something is packed well enough, the worst that could happen in regular shipping (other than temp issues) is for them to be scrambled. I mean, my eldest did a competition where they had to pack an egg a certain way, and then they were dropped off a second story building. Most of those eggs survived intact.

So the mailman finally came with the eggs, and this is what the post office so kindly did to my rather expensive cream legbar eggs-- so sad. Three are completely smashed. Two are cracked down a ways toward the bottom. And two look like they might be useable, assuming they don't have too much bacteria growth from being coated with a thick layer of egg yolk. I should just give up on shipped eggs and order chicks. I'm so upset about this. I was totally looking forward to these eggs for days now.
hit.gif

ep.gif
Are you going to send pictures to the folks you got them from? I know they aren't responsible once they leave, but when they are expensive eggs, and come to you looking like that..sometimes they will work with you. That is so sad, I'm so sorry. I received my Silkie eggs today, all in one piece thank goodness. I think I would have shed some tears over something like that!

Lisa, when you pick up chicks when they are still real young, is the best time to check for the more pointy wing feathers. Not looking for all the wings tips..but there will be a group of feathers that come together as more of a tip, than the rounded look. I know, I will take a picture of one of my pullets I just got..noticed that on all of them. Interesting. Will post a little later.

That's bad joke!
lol.png
but it is sad.

That is horrible! And USPS employees wonder why their jobs are getting cut Fedex and UPS just seem to have it down a little better, at least when we have had deliveries. Our mailperson is not on the ball at all. Hope I am not offending anyone on here if they work at the post office.
roll.png

Donna I feel so bad for you. THose eggs are so expensive. You should call the postmaster, and file a complaint. It would get your mailpersons attention, I bet they are more careful at least on their end from now on.
Red, Donna, hope you guys feel better soon. Ditto on the griping, it feels good to vent sometimes, I do not mind at all, I am interested in the ongoings of my chicken friends' lives! Remember--'as the egg turns'---lol We have our own little soap opera.
Donna If the eggs make you feel bad---look at the chicks. That is the happy place
smile.png

Lisa, when you pick up chicks when they are still real young, is the best time to check for the more pointy wing feathers.  Not looking for all the wings tips..but there will be a group of feathers that come together as more of a tip, than the rounded look.  I know, I will take a picture of one of my pullets I just got..noticed that on all of them.  Interesting.  Will post a little later.

Ok I think I know what you mean. That is what was going on with the EE's for sure. The roo looking one was rounded. The wing as a whole on the end that points to the rear.

Hey Everyone!
I thought I would jump in and say "Hi". Im from the Salt Lake area (Magna), and am looking at getting some chickies this year to begin our little urban homestead. Hoping for some Orpingtons and Australops. You all have some amazing advice on this thread, and Im excited to continue reading it!

-chickundercover

chickenundercover-welcome!
corvidae- I'm sorry that happen to your eggs. I would have been so upset. They were beautiful blue eggs.

I just got some eggs today in the mail and they were fine but I need some help in knowing what I should do. I ordered 12 eggs and an incubator. The eggs arrived today. The incubator won't be here until Friday or Monday. The egg seller said that she doesn't send eggs that are older than 3 days old when she collected them. She sent them to me on Monday. They arrived here today, Wednesday. So the "oldest" the eggs could/should be is 5 days. The incubator that I have ordered is a Brinsea Mini Advance Egg Incubator with Automatic Egg Turning.

Since the Brinsea unit will not arrive until this Friday (two more days) or Monday (4 more days), I am concerned about waiting too long to start incubating my eggs. So this afternoon I went to the local IFA and purchased a still air incubator. What I need to know is, can I go ahead and start the eggs incubating in the stil air incubator, and then transfer the eggs to the Brinsea when I get it? I don't know if this can be done. I thought my incubator would be here in time. UGH!

Back
Top Bottom