Utah!

Kimmy-my son likes to go around selling them. He keeps half, gives me half for feed. Puts a small dent in the feed budget :) And puts a big dent in his little wallet. Every neighborhood is different, some around here sell them for $3-$4 my friend can only get $1.50 because of all the farmers around her. We sell ours for $2.50 for the multicolored carton, and we give them 13 eggs.

Last edited:
Cynthia---I am dying over your pretty blue eggs hatching. If you lived by me I think I would break down. Actually I know I would lol! I really think my favorite breed is the pure ameraucanas. My 1st generations (Pure moms not dads) are extremely sweet and wonderful too, the blacks....the little splash....it is a toss up between the Barred Rocks and the Ameraucanas for sure.

Congrats on your successful hatch :)

Supposedly it can be seen that early. Lots of people can tell, I am still trying to figure it out haha! It is lots of fun trying anyway! I think the longer you stare and stare the more subtle differences you pick up on. Lots of the breeds the girls feather out faster though, boys slower. Some breeds not. I remember my grandpa used to say that about the australorps and he was right for sure. My neighbor had a BA roo that did that. She knew it was a rooster right after bringing it home from the feed store. The people on here that hatch loads of chicks (ahem...cynthia haha)have a knack for figuring it out really early. Brahmas might feather slower though---ameraucanas do
smile.png
Did you buy your Brahma straight run?

The Brahma was straight run because it's a Banty as is the Cochin and of course the Silkie. So I'm sure if that affects the feathering out or not.

jwoo--- so you are going to be driving yourself crazy trying to guess on those straight run, huh! It is hard to wait, I always am trying to figure it out from Day 1. You could post pics here if you want some of us to take a stab at it for ya! It is kind of fun to see if you get it right or not :)

Last edited:
Cynthia---I am dying over your pretty blue eggs hatching. If you lived by me I think I would break down. Actually I know I would lol! I really think my favorite breed is the pure ameraucanas. My 1st generations (Pure moms not dads) are extremely sweet and wonderful too, the blacks....the little splash....it is a toss up between the Barred Rocks and the Ameraucanas for sure.
Congrats on your successful hatch
smile.png
Ok, you are really going to die when you see these next babies..oh, my, goodness..so far, mostly blues! Where's the splash? These are bigger babies than those that just hatched. Will post pictures tomorrow, so you may not want to come on.
wink.png

Brad, going to get your phone number now from messages..didn't write it down. I will have my phone with me, so we can find each other..lol..just call when you are heading out so I will get an idea as to when we should leave. See ya!

Lisa, Shinx! Go check out KSL. The lady that bought those two lavenders that Elk couldn't buy, has her roo on there for sale. Yep, I think we can compare! That is a cockerel! I have no doubts now about my girl. She is asking a lot for that little beauty. I hope she gets it. I told her to advertise that way, because he is a rare color, and is from a good breeder.
She wants to trade me one of her Naked Necks for one of my baby Silkies that are due to hatch tomorrow or Sunday. When I brought my hubby in, he says...no, we don't want one of those. lol...I thought one would be a great back yard conversational piece..my grand kids would crack up!

jwoo--- so you are going to be driving yourself crazy trying to guess on those straight run, huh! It is hard to wait, I always am trying to figure it out from Day 1. You could post pics here if you want some of us to take a stab at it for ya! It is kind of fun to see if you get it right or not
smile.png

Oh man you have no IDEA how crazy we're getting guessing . . or maybe you do
ep.gif
If my wifes banty brahma doesn't turn out as a lady guess who got told today that it's his mission to find one that's a lady no matter what? She doesn't care banty or standard she just loves the brahma. I'll take some pics this weekend and see what everyone says!

Cynthia, I could try to stay away but you know I cannot.

I spent a few hours outside tonight. Sat by the coop/run, with the big door open, watching the 6 littles run around bravely as my 7 big girls started to inspect/chase/peck. I have a big squirt bottle, turned it on 'stream'. Everytime they touch the babies, blast of water! Scares them half to death. "Why does that happen everytime? How do those babies do that?" Now they are staying clear of the littles....they were all in there scratching and eating gunk from the floor happily amongst each other, acting like they did not even see each other. No panicking and flapping and running. I was the proud mama. I wish I would have tried this with my meanies before re-homing them, I have to wonder if that would have worked. I do not know how long the peace will last, but tomorrow I will be back out there enforcing the peace :) It was really awesome, those littles were walking out in the run and everything, the big guns just minding their own business.

Oh man you have no IDEA how crazy we're getting guessing . . or maybe you do :eek:  If my wifes banty brahma doesn't turn out as a lady guess who got told today that it's his mission to find one that's a lady no matter what? She doesn't care banty or standard she just loves the brahma. I'll take some pics this weekend and see what everyone says!

Do it! Would love to see. It helps us too, then we can all learn about the different breeds and what to expect :)

The guessing game is making me crazy. You see me on here...blah blah blah my big lav my little lav blah blah blah. Posting pictures every week and trying to guess. I am with you it drives me nuts. I have finally figured out my two speckled EE's are in fact boys, one is really trying to crow, it is the awful sound in my ears and it may be on ksl before I end this post. AND the saddle feathers are starting, clear as day I could see today. Both have tails that go way up, droop way down, and it is almost denial if I keep thinking they might turn out to be pullets. (Chicken math starting, chickundercover said that means I can have 4 more. She said it not me. lol I just agreed) So FBCM, you WILL be mine. You will be mine. Lightning bolts, thunder. evil cackle.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom