Vacation and I found chickens!

jtbrown

Songster
8 Years
Mar 30, 2011
Southeastern Ohio
Took a 3 day trip with 5 work friends. Went to Kelley's Island in Lake Erie and I was thrilled when on our bike rides we saw chickens. I really haven't seen other people's chickens since I started keeping my own, I loved it. I think they were barnyard mutt variety, but didnt spend time gawking too much! Both houses had their chickens free ranging. Needless to say the city folk I was with rolled their eyes and said, "Jen and her chickens!". But they like my eggs! Do any of you ever gawk at others' free ranging birds when out and about?

Yup! I always try to peek in a backyard if I see a shed thinking it will be a chicken coop. On my way down to Fenwick Island, DE there were tons of free rangers. I saw a group of about 10 leghorns just relaxing in the front yard of one house. I was worried because they were practically laying on the road.

It's one of those things that you never notice until you have them yourself--like swimming pools, horses, and utility vehicles. BTW, many older homes--pre40's--have chicken coops someplace behind them, even those build in urban areas--something you will notice once you start looking for them.

Back
Top Bottom