Vaccinating Adult Birds

sapseason

In the Brooder
Feb 20, 2022
I've got a small mixed flock of buff ducks and buckeye chickens. All about 2 years old, none of them vaccinated. I'm moving to a commercial poultry farm and the owner wants me to vaccinate my flock for Marek's before bringing them there. I understand the vaccines will likely be ineffective at this point, I am just doing this for the landowner's comfort.

Is it safe to vaccinate adult birds for Marek's?
Where can I find dosage information, or is it the same as with chicks?
Is it safe to use Marek's vaccine on both chickens and ducks?
Any advice is appreciated!

Welcome To BYC

Never heard of duck's being vaccinated for Marek's since it's mainly a disease that affects Chickens.

Interesting that a commercial poultry farm would even allow an existing flock of birds on their premises. Seems like a biosecurity risk.

You can vaccinate adult chickens I suppose, follow the instructions on the vaccine to the purchase.

Is it safe or possible to vaccinate adult birds?
That's a good question and I don't have any definitive answers. The OP will need to study up on how the vaccine works and it may be a good idea to even contact the manufacturer to see what guidance they may offer.
Can't say whether it's "safe". Vaccination does not stop birds from becoming ill from the virus (it happens all the time), it can help prevent the formation of tumors.
Possible to vaccinate adult birds, yes, I think it's possible to give them the vaccine. Would it be effective? Who knows. Marek's vaccinated birds become ill from the virus all the time. The vaccine doesn't prevent infection, it only helps stop the formation of tumors. Personally, it's not something I would do.

I agree. Ducks do not suffer from Mareks. They could be vaccinated, but probably not necessary. The buckeye chickens can be vaccinated if you wait at least 2 weeks after for them to achieve immunity. But they still could possibly be carrying Mareks if any have ever been exposed to it in your environment. The vaccine also is not 100% effective in preventing the disease. Many online stores sell Mareks vaccine, which comes in 1000 dose vials, all needing to be used within an hour or so. It has to be shipped express and in a cooler, which costs more. The dosage would be the same, and that would be in the instructions from the manufacturer. Both ValleyVet and Jefferspet sell it, and here is a link for one of those:
https://www.jefferspet.com/md-vac-c...MIlLH59pyR9gIVrh-tBh1eQgPTEAQYAiABEgJ_0fD_BwE

Back
Top Bottom