vaccine:with or without?

brak

In the Brooder
Sep 26, 2019
i need some useful advice for baby chick vaccination which one to give. im here in california breeding at my backyard, raising only chicken bout 20 to 30 chicks, my first time just want them to be healthy
comments/suggestion are very much appreciated. thank you

Hi there, Welcome to BYC.. what part of California are you in? :frow

Did you already hatch these chicks? If so how old are they?

Are you in the New Castle quarantine/euthanasia zone?

Possible vaccines I know about are Coccidiosis (irrelevant to me if your husbandry is good and you aren't overcrowding, it's very preventable). Marek's (only effective if given shortly after hatch. Not welcome at my place because it just masks symptoms and doesn't actually stop the disease). New Castle's (I'm very unfamiliar with the virus or the vaccine) But being in California, would definitely suggest you research it more. Fowl Pox (maybe more key in areas with tons of mosquitoes like Florida. Most birds will overcome it naturally IF they do get it).

Have healthy chicks by giving proper feed, space, and fresh (poo free) water. Don't diminish these things with low quality treats like scratch or cracked corn which provide energy but NOT the vitamins, minerals and amino acids that are added into our formulated rations.

Keep things simple by feeding your whole flock a non-medicated starter or Flock Raiser, with oyster shell on the side for active layers... Instead of trying to keep the chicks out of layer feed. I never switch and the extra protein (about 4% more) has decreased the harshness and time spent molting for my flock since feathers are made from 90% protein and it's amino acids.

Hope this is helpful! :fl

Hi there, Welcome to BYC.. what part of California are you in? :frow

Did you already hatch these chicks? If so how old are they?

Are you in the New Castle quarantine/euthanasia zone?

Possible vaccines I know about are Coccidiosis (irrelevant to me if your husbandry is good and you aren't overcrowding, it's very preventable). Marek's (only effective if given shortly after hatch. Not welcome at my place because it just masks symptoms and doesn't actually stop the disease). New Castle's (I'm very unfamiliar with the virus or the vaccine) But being in California, would definitely suggest you research it more. Fowl Pox (maybe more key in areas with tons of mosquitoes like Florida. Most birds will overcome it naturally IF they do get it).

Have healthy chicks by giving proper feed, space, and fresh (poo free) water. Don't diminish these things with low quality treats like scratch or cracked corn which provide energy but NOT the vitamins, minerals and amino acids that are added into our formulated rations.

Keep things simple by feeding your whole flock a non-medicated starter or Flock Raiser, with oyster shell on the side for active layers... Instead of trying to keep the chicks out of layer feed. I never switch and the extra protein (about 4% more) has decreased the harshness and time spent molting for my flock since feathers are made from 90% protein and it's amino acids.

Hope this is helpful! :fl
im from anaheim. no idea of ND quarantine zone. thank you so much for your ideas penny if there is anything more you can teach, coach or guide me with your bright ideas on how can i raised my chicks healthy, please i very much appreciate it.

im from anaheim. no idea of ND quarantine zone.
Here is a link that shows Los Angles county and several nearby that includes maps and other updates.
https://www.cdfa.ca.gov/AHFSS/Animal_Health/Newcastle_Disease_Info.html

Also, one of the best (accurate) poultry resources is Merck. The following is a link to available vaccines... not that I'm suggesting but sharing with you what you are asking for. Most really are for use where large populations are kept in close quarters. Use their site for all kinds of info... :)
https://www.merck-animal-health-usa.com/species/poultry

See living in Washington state I am unaware of the zone have you gone to your state thread yet?
It's important that we know about these things regardless of which state we are in. Or at least be sure not to buy (or ship without proper certifications) poultry including hatching hatching eggs from unknown sources and especially across state lines. ;)

Not directed at anyone specific but a general statement... some laws that seem silly to us are in place for reasons.. like protecting our national food supply chain and ultimately our freedom to keep back yard poultry. :thumbsup

Welcome!
The chicks hatched and raised here aren't vaccinated for anything, and chicks I buy from hatcheries are vaccinated against Marek's disease at the hatchery.
This gives me two groups; home raised birds who would get sick if Marek's disease arrives here, and vaccinated birds who are more likely to survive, avoiding the tumors that kill infected but unvaccintated birds. 'Canaries in the coal mine'.
My birds aren't shown, and if they move elsewhere, never return. I'm paranoid about biosecurity, and have been lucky, so haven't had any reason to vaccinate against anything else.
People who show their birds, and commercial flocks, are usually on a fairly complicated vaccination schedule for several diseases, and it makes sense for them. Most 'backyard' chicken owners don't do the same, except for the Marek's vaccine.
Coccidiosis is best managed another way, IMO.
It's best to read up about biosecurity, and practice it the best way you can, to avoid issues.
Mary

Here is a link that shows Los Angles county and several nearby that includes maps and other updates.
https://www.cdfa.ca.gov/AHFSS/Animal_Health/Newcastle_Disease_Info.html

Also, one of the best (accurate) poultry resources is Merck. The following is a link to available vaccines... not that I'm suggesting but sharing with you what you are asking for. Most really are for use where large populations are kept in close quarters. Use their site for all kinds of info... :)
https://www.merck-animal-health-usa.com/species/poultry

It's important that we know about these things regardless of which state we are in. Or at least be sure not to buy (or ship without proper certifications) poultry including hatching hatching eggs from unknown sources and especially across state lines. ;)

Not directed at anyone specific but a general statement... some laws that seem silly to us are in place for reasons.. like protecting our national food supply chain and ultimately our freedom to keep back yard poultry. :thumbsup

Thank you OP is in Ca and I tried to find data oh now I did not know Merck had it also
PennyJo

Thank you OP is in Ca and I tried to find data oh now I did not know Merck had it also
PennyJo
Merck is just a veterinary manual with tons of information on most all animal health concerns but not active outbreak information with regard to location and active quarantine zones. :)

That (outbreak data) comes from the department of agriculture... I guess each state has their own and my previous link was to California's. But also the USDA is a great resource for nation wide information...
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ou...ease-information/avian/virulent-newcastle/vnd

Penny is a name I already like... but you ad Jo to it! :love

You are correct about Marek's vaccine needing to be done at 1 day old and that is probably one of the most key for many folks. But that is not the case for many other vaccines that are listed in the Merck link in post 6.

Back
Top Bottom