Vaccines?

Isaiah53

Songster
Jan 8, 2018
Osoyoos BC Canada
Question on chicken vaccines. Which ones are recommended for chicks and what age should they be given? Or is the consensus to give medicated feed? I understand the concern is Coccidiosis and longer term Mareks Disease. What about some respiratory diseases? Currently have two grown chickens (just over 2 years)that seem to have conjunctivitis and a respiratory infection It does not seem bad and since respiratory Infections typically are viral and I understand conjunctivitis can also be viral I have been treating them with Vetrx and colloidal silver along with apple cider vinegar in their water. I am ordering some Oxine for cleaning everything as well as their drinking water My ultimate concern though is a broody hen sitting on a large clutch of eggs. Should I be doing something now to protect the chicks and if any hatch what vaccines, if any, should they be given.

Thank you all so much for your help. Chicken veterinary care is non existent where I live.

Respiratory problems can also be environmental as chickens need good ventilation, and are susceptible to mold as well. Brooder pneumonia, or aspergillis is caused by mold and is incurable. So it's not all viral.

I personally don't vaccinate for anything. I prefer to cull for Mareks. If you vaccinate you will need to always vaccinate.

I don't use medicated feed either. I have never had a problem with coccidiosis. I keep my chicks clean and dry. I start giving them sod clumps after 2 weeks to get them used to organisms in my soil before they get moved out to the big shed with the chickens.

Some folks, especially if you are in a wetter climate have troubles. Source of the chicks can factor in too. Hatchery chicks, or hatched in an incubator shouldn't have been exposed to coccidiosis where hen hatched may. It's does depend on what's in your soil, something you may not know until you try raising chicks.

Ventilation is not a problem it's an open sided barn and the roof all around has a 3 inch opening at the roof/ceiling. We are in a big spring thaw and lots of wet outside, inside is as dry as it can be, with extra care for dry floors and bedding.

I am more concerned about chicks if they hatch. My hen is now isolated from everyone else in her own separate area so no other chicken can enter. Hopefully that will help, and if any hatch (about 3 weeks) I'll put a raised bed (probably a kiddie pool, unless anyone has a better suggestion) and transfer the chicks in there. I was wondering if the consensus was to vaccinate for anything in specific. We've never had Coccidiosis but I noticed the previous owner had medicated feed for chicks.

And thank you for your kind response oldhenlikesdogs much appreciated!

Ventilation is not a problem it's an open sided barn and the roof all around has a 3 inch opening at the roof/ceiling. We are in a big spring thaw and lots of wet outside, inside is as dry as it can be, with extra care for dry floors and bedding.

I am more concerned about chicks if they hatch. My hen is now isolated from everyone else in her own separate area so no other chicken can enter. Hopefully that will help, and if any hatch (about 3 weeks) I'll put a raised bed (probably a kiddie pool, unless anyone has a better suggestion) and transfer the chicks in there. I was wondering if the consensus was to vaccinate for anything in specific. We've never had Coccidiosis but I noticed the previous owner had medicated feed for chicks.

And thank you for your kind response oldhenlikesdogs much appreciated!
Oh and the area the hen is in is a converted tack room so completely enclosed.

I always say do what you are comfortable with. Most people don't vaccinate unless they are ordering from a hatchery. If you have a wet spring than medicated feed may be a good idea for the first 6 weeks. I generally wait until the end of May so it's usually dryer and warmer here by than so less risk of me experiencing problems.

Back
Top Bottom