Vaccines

I never vaccinate mine because I don't have any diseases in my flock. If a disease did show up that would possibly change.

I suggest you look into getting the vaccines you would normally have hem vaccinated for from the hatchery. I see no reason to suggest anything extra.

I'm getting chicks for the first time next month, and I've been reading what you have written about vaccines and it all makes sense. I'm going to call the place that I ordered my chicks from to see if they come vaccinated. From what I'm understand is that if they do come vaccinated, then they do not need medicated feed? I just need to bring dirt in from the yard and put it in their brooder to expose them to the bacteria and germs that are in our yard?

The OP is talking about vaccinating chicks that they hatch, not buying already vaccinated chicks.

I'm going to call the place that I ordered my chicks from to see if they come vaccinated. From what I'm understand is that if they do come vaccinated, then they do not need medicated feed?
There are different vaccines you could get. The two most common ones are for Marek's and for Coccidiosis though a few hatcheries may offer more. Those are different vaccines. A vaccine for one does not give protection from all other diseases. When you talk to them you need to be able to tell them what vaccine you are asking about.

If the vaccine you are talking about is the Coccidiosis vaccine then feeding medicated feed can negate the benefit of the vaccine. It is not that they don't need it, it makes the vaccination ineffective. If the vaccine is Marek's medicated feed doesn't make any difference.

The OP is talking about vaccinating chicks that they hatch, not buying already vaccinated chicks.

There are different vaccines you could get. The two most common ones are for Marek's and for Coccidiosis though a few hatcheries may offer more. Those are different vaccines. A vaccine for one does not give protection from all other diseases. When you talk to them you need to be able to tell them what vaccine you are asking about.

If the vaccine you are talking about is the Coccidiosis vaccine then feeding medicated feed can negate the benefit of the vaccine. It is not that they don't need it, it makes the vaccination ineffective. If the vaccine is Marek's medicated feed doesn't make any difference.
Thank you! I verified that they are only vaccinated for Marek's and not Coccidiosis. So, I'm going to go with the medicated feed and bring dirt in from the yard. I'm so enjoying all of your articles. I'm going through them now.

Back
Top Bottom