1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

vaccines

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sabong, Jul 11, 2010.

1. sabong

sabong In the Brooder

Jun 5, 2010
    can someone make me a list of all the vaccines i need for just 5 birds...i bring in a lot of birds to sale that i have no clue if they are sick or not...and i really don't want my pet chickens to get sick because of it...i have worms under control...just need to vaccinate for major diseases

2. NWChicks

NWChicks Songster

Mar 3, 2010
    Granite Falls, WA
    Some things are more prevalent in some areas and not in others. Not knowing where you're at, you may want to call your local dept. of agriculture and see what they suggest. I didn't personally do that but a friend of mine had lost a couple of birds and contacted them since she didn't know what was killing them. They investigated (Marek's) and advised her that that one was one of the more important ones to vaccinate for. If you're showing I know there is a whole different list of things that are required but I'm clueless in that area!

3. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Crowing

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    As said, you need to check with the local ag extension center to see what is in your area.

Second: Any new birds that come in should be kept FAR away from your birds for at least 28 days. Never visit your birds after tending to isolated birds. Always do yours first, then the outsiders. If you constantly move birds in and out I would not plan to keep 'pets' for very long. There are alot of problems that you will not be able to vaccinate for that strange birds can carry.

Matt

4. sabong

sabong In the Brooder

Jun 5, 2010
    thanks so much...I'll just stop with the bringing birds in and out...i was just going around getting chickens that people wanted rid of and selling them at the sale...i can't get rid of my pets though...and there's one in particular that i can't loose...she means more to me than any other pet i have ever had...in all the years of me owning chickens I never thought id end up with a one in the house lol...but thanks again...I'll be calling to find out some stuff tomorrow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by