vacuum recommendations

Quote:
I just wanted to mention that the Dyson Model i have is red, and the rigid part of the hose comes off. I thought they all did that except the base base model, but i guess not.

Quote:
I have been through two oreks,..they can't survive my dog. I thought it was wonderful and just bad luck when it went down, the first one,..but the second went down just as fast. I got a new electrolux and well they aren't what they used to be,..so next dyson, I am hopeful.

WOW! Thanks everyone!
I didn't expect to get all these suggestions for vacs!!
I wanted to get a Dyson Animal, but I was worried that it was all hype. I'm glad to hear all the positive things about it, after a while of ownership.
Thank you so far!

I have an Oreck XL, have had it for 6 years and I pick up A LOT of pet hair and other things that the dogs chew up and leave on the floor. I just had mine cleaned and serviced for the first time, it still works great and the guy that serviced it, said despite the abuse (LOL) the motor was still strong.
I used to work in an office and they had a Dyson, personally it was not worth the money, but that is just my opinion.

I have 5 dogs and 2 cats. I have used the rainbow the tristar the oreck xl the shark and the dyson. The dyson beats them all hands down. I just have the yellow one not the animal and it still beats the crap out of every other vacuum I ever used.

I recently bought a Riccar. Made entirely in the USA. It has a multi year warranty and on board attachments for cleaning hard wood or smaller spaces.

I wanted to go with a bag vacuum since those with the hepa filters and tiny canisters had to be emptied repeatedly before I was done vacuuming.

The issues with the Orecks may be that they are now mostly being made in China. Something to look at before purchasing.

Quote:
Just a thought...my friend's moving in a few weeks to a very large house with all hardwood floors. They are very uneven, salvaged-wood type floors with lots of cracks & crevices in/around the boards & they have 2 super-longhair cats & 1 regular shorthair shed-master cat. LOL Does this Dyson work well on bare floors? She's looking for new vacuum for new floors right now!
big_smile.png

If you buy the hard floor attachment for the Dyson, it works great on hardwood or tile floors. At first I used the hard floor setting on the Dyson and used it like a vacuum and it did okay....but then I learned there was an attachment for the handle and that is what I use now, its amazing!

I have had my Dyson for over 5 years....no problems, and I had up until last winter, 2 dogs (aussie shepard and corgi) and 3 cats, one long hair. Now just the two cats and two dogs in a 1100 Sq fT house.

Ours is a blue DIRT DEVIL electrostatic Pet Plus.
Does an excellent job with the Jack Russell's hair.

Bagless. A bit top-heavy, but still easy to use.
Little over a year old. No problems yet.

K-Mart, I believe.

I've had the Dyson animal for over 5 years and it does great! I have hardwood with orientals in each room and it does great on both the carpet and hardwood. You have to change to the floor attachment but it's really easy. I have a St Bernard and a lab that shed like crazy. I vacuum a full canister every day! Amazing you can get that much hair/dirt in one day.
sickbyc.gif

Back
Top Bottom