Valbazen and Corid dose for ducks?

duckitup

Chirping
Jun 10, 2015
Wisconsin
Does anyone know what the Valbazen dosage amount for approximately a 5 lb duck is?
And how much corid per gallon of water?
I can find all kinds of stuff on chickens but not much on Ducks.
Thanks!

Here's a link to Corid amounts for either powder or liquid. It's the same for ducks as it is for chickens.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/818879/updated-corid-and-amprol-amprolium-dosing

Sorry I don't know the dosage for Valbazen and will let another member give you that info. I do know that you do not want to mix them both in the same water. So you'll have to dose the Valbazen orally if you mix Corid in the water.

Thanks for the link. I thought I read somewhere that corid should be cut in half from chicken to duck dose. But, I'm not sure. Seems like everything I read contradicts. I have liquid 9.6 oral solution.

@casportpony @dawg53 Kathy, are you still on here? I lost the numbers you gave me back when Mr Fiona was sick. Need Valbazen dose and Corid dose for ducks. Everything I read seems to contradict itself.

Dawg we have never talked but you seem super knowledgable about this kind of stuff so I'm shouting out to you too. Hope that's okay!

If you're concerned of the correct dose they would be getting from the water then you could give an oral drench of the Corid to get an exact dosage.

Figure up to give 20mg of amprolium per kilogram of body weight (20mg/kg)

A 5lb duck would equal 2.27kg (5 divided by 2.2 = 2.27)

2.27kg x 20mg amprolium = 45.45mg of amprolium needed
45.45mg divided by 96ml (9.6%) = 0.47ml dose
Round up to give a 1/2ml/cc oral dose.

I found this BYC thread on Valbazen dosage post #3
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/910/de-worming-chickens

Quote from @Barnyard Dawg
"Valbazen is supplied in 500 ml, 1 liter, and 5 liter bottles of an 11.36% suspension. In chickens, the reported dose is 10 mg/kg of body weight"

5lb Duck = 2.27kg x 10mg = 22.70mg of valbazen needed
22.70 divided by 113.6 (11.36% suspension) = 0.20ml dose

Hopefully someone will come along and verify that my calculations are correct.

Thanks Free Spirit. I have Indian Runner Ducks. They don't like to be handeled so I want to keep this as stress free as possible. I wan't to do Corid in thier water. I'm going to start with 1 ml per liter. I don't think that is too much but not sure if it is enough. The Valbazen link you sent referenced chickens and I'm not positive that chickens and ducks take the same amount. Do you have ducks? And have you treated them with Valbazen at chicken doses? Sorry I don't mean to question it's just I've been down the sick duck road before and 3 out of 3 vets told me different things. I'm looking for real people who have ducks and know what has worked for them. Thank you for helping!

Thanks Free Spirit. I have Indian Runner Ducks. They don't like to be handeled so I want to keep this as stress free as possible. I wan't to do Corid in thier water. I'm going to start with 1 ml per liter. I don't think that is too much but not sure if it is enough. The Valbazen link you sent referenced chickens and I'm not positive that chickens and ducks take the same amount. Do you have ducks? And have you treated them with Valbazen at chicken doses? Sorry I don't mean to question it's just I've been down the sick duck road before and 3 out of 3 vets told me different things. I'm looking for real people who have ducks and know what has worked for them. Thank you for helping!

It's ok I really don't blame you for questioning me, very understandable. I do have ducks and I have not used Valbazen (I use Safeguard). My ducks (and geese) are not handling birds either so I completely understand that too. I have used Corid 20% powder with my goose mixed in a gallon of water at 0.024% solution for the required number of days.

@casportpony (Kathy - who I trust) has been helping me learn how to figure out dosages in another thread. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1052271/anyone-here-good-at-math-math-and-medications/10

Dosage for Corid liquid in liters would be: Found on page 3 / post #26 in the thread of which Kathy approved of the math.
0.024%: 473.176ml divided by 189.27 L = 2.5ml/L
0.012%: 236.588ml divided by 189.27 L = 1.250ml/L (or 2.5 divided by 2)
0.006%: 118.294ml divided by 189.27 L = .625ml/L (or 2.5 divided by 4)

If you go to page 8 posts #78 I noted something about waterfowl similar to your concerns for another medicine and Kathy responded in post #79 as follows.
"Sigh.... People talk about how much ducks drink, but they don't actually drink that much. These same people claim that medicated feed shouldn't be fed to ducks... And think about it, how much does a sick duck or chicken drink? I know that when mine are sick that I have to tube fluids to them. Those sorts of comments drive me crazy!

-Kathy"

For the Valbanzen, the oral dose I calculated was per body weight of the bird and not dependent on how much they take in via water suspension. I looked at the instructions online (see link below) and the calculations were the same per kg whether it was a cow, goat, or bird (although it doesn't list any birds). 10mg/kg of body weight.
http://www.drugs.com/vet/valbazen-suspension.html

Cow - 500lb / 2.2 = 227.27kg x 10mg = 2272 / 113.6 (11.36%) = 20ml
Goat - 50lb / 2.2 = 22.72kg x 10mg = 227 / 113.6 = 2ml
You can check the dosages that are shown toward the bottom of the page and this is the math to arrive at those dosages. If going my that then the 10mg/kg for a bird would work out to:
Bird - 5lb / 2.2 = 2.27kg x 10mg = 22.70 / 113.6 = 0.20ml

Other sites I researched said to mix 1cc of Valbazen to 8cc of water and dose 2cc
roll.png
. That equals 2.5mg Valbazen per dose but doesn't take into account any particular weight and is offered to any bird whether it's 2lbs or 6lbs and that doesn't seem right.

And honestly, I don't blame you for wanting a second opinion. I too am hoping Kathy will swing by and either congratulate me or chastise me
wink.png

-Free Spirit

Oh my goodness those numbers make my head spin! Thank you for taking the time to help me! I was able to speak with Kathy a bit ago (she knows I need the dumbed down version of Numbers
lau.gif
) You probably said the same thing with your calculations but here is what she said. (I want to get these numbers out there in case anyone else needs to know or in case I miss place my numbers again!)

After speaking with Kathy I have decided to use the 5 dose Safeguard. I know it worked on my last sick duck (Mr Fiona) so I'm going to go with it again. The Valbazen was sexy to me because I only needed to treat them 2 times instead of 5. After my talk I think I will tough out the 5 doses with Safeguard because we weren't sure if Valbazen could get rid of capillary worms if that is in fact what I'm dealing with. I'll be taking a fecal to the vet after the dosing to make sure nothing is lurking around.

Anywho...what I found out from Kathy was.....

Corid is 10 mls per gallon of water to treat ducks for 5 days. Then 2.5 mls per gallon for 7 days. (may be the same for chickens but I'm not sure)

Safeguard is .23mls (for those that are number challenged like my self that is POINT 23 mls.) per pound of duck. So a 5lb duck would need 1.15mls for 5 days. Given orally with a syringe (no needle). Tip: When you open a ducks mouth the far right side (the ducks right side) is the hole you want to squirt the meds in. Do NOT squirt it in the hole in the middle at the back of the tongue. Always go to the ducks right side! It's easy to understand once you take a look at the inside of a ducks throat.

Valbazen: .08 mls per pound of duck. For a 5 lb duck that would be .4mls. (can round up to .5 for ease of use) Given once and then 10 days later given one more time. Capillary worms may or may not be taken care of at this dose (safeguard should cover capillary worms as well as others)

Back
Top Bottom