Valbazen: dilute or don't dilute? Need to know today.

Carolyn252

Mother of Chickens
14 Years
Feb 23, 2009
Freeport/NassauCounty/L.I./NY
Ok, now I’m thoroughly confused. I’ve searched the byc postings on how to dose standard sized chickens with Valbazen, and there seems to be two different advisements.

Some say to take 1 cc of the Valbazen liquid straight from the bottle and mix it with 8 cc of water and then give 2cc of that solution to each standard sized chicken.

Some say to take a 1/2cc of the Valbazen liquid straight from the bottle and give it undiluted to each standard sized chicken.

Some say to administer it straight down the throat using a syringe (without the needle, of course).

Some say to administer it by soaking a small piece of bread in the dose and then feeding that soaked bread to the chicken.

I’m not so concerned as to whether to use the syringe or the bread, but I DO NEED TO KNOW whether to use a ½ cc undiluted or to use 2cc’s of a 1:8 dilution.

Please let me know ASAP. I need to dose them today because it’s been ten days since the Wazine deworming was done.

Thank you all.

I't doesn't matter, Diluted, Undiluted or on bread. The effects are the same..just whatever way is simplest for you..Most find giving 1/2 cc undiluted is the easiest way..Peter's idea behind mixing it with water is for better gut coverage..I't works either way, but 1/2 cc is eaiser to give than 2 cc's

Thanks to everyone who answered.

Here's what I did: After posting my question, I came back to my computer to see if anyone had answered, and found that someone had. But when I clicked on the link to bring me to the answer, a message came up saying that the byc website was down for maintenance and so I couldn't read the answer.

Argggggh. So, I decided to just follow Dr Peter Brown's advisement as printed on the Valbazen bottle. (Dilute 1cc of the Valbazen in 8cc of water, and then give 2 cc of that solution.)

The syringes that I use for the chickens are too large to accurately measure 1cc, so I checked the conversion tables on the web and found that depending on the viscosity of the liquid being measured, 1cc equals approximately 25 drops (from an ordinary eye dropper).

So I measured out 25 drops of the Valbazen liquid and then instead of mixing it with 8cc of water, I had a monumental brain freeze of stupidity and mixed it with 8 OUNCES of water.

Then I wrestled each of my four hens into a big towel, sat her on my lap, held her there with one of my legs lightly thrown over her back, wrapped one sheet of paper toweling around her face and tapped on her beak with the end of the syringe til she opened up and and gave her the two cc's of the WAY TOO DILUTED SOLUTION. Of course at that point, I was totally unaware of my error and was getting more and more pleased with myself about my excellent chicken-wrangling skills and my great success in getting the medicine down each of them so easily.

They all seemed fine and dandy after the dosing and are now up on the roosts and settling down for the night.

Now that I'm back in the house and at the computer again, I find that the byc website is up and running again and have read through the several answers that I got.

I started to type this "thank you" note, and THAT'S WHEN I REALIZED WHAT A DOPEY THING I DID WITH THE DILUTION.

OY VEY. Now what?

With the tiny dosage your hens just received, I'd redo it correctly and just redose. Giving 2 cc of the following mixture: 1 cc of valbazen and then mixed with 8 cc of water --- is only 1/4 cc/ml of valbazen, which is 1/2 of what most here on BYC have been giving their hens. It won't hurt your hens to give them another 1/4 cc after the extra-small dose you just gave them.

Quote:
Is what I gave them today going to have ANY effect at all on their worms? Shouldn't I give them some sort of "catch up" dose tomorrow and then a correct dosing ten days after that?

(And if so, what do you recommend as a "catch up" dose for tomorrow??)

Quote:
I'm trying very hard to understand what you're saying. But can't quite.

Are you suggesting that tomorrow I give them each a dose of 1/4cc straight from the bottle? That's such a small dose, I'll have to use the eyedropper. Let's see... one cc is about 25 drops, so a quarter cc should be about 6 drops of undiluted, straight from the bottle, Valbazen.

Back
Top Bottom