Valbazen Dosage?

Ok now I am confused. with the Valbazen you have to dose individually? Can it be put in the water? I have about 100 chicks + 9 turkeys. I know there would be a difference in chicks vs Turkeys so planned on putting them in a different run, however the chks are appro. the same size. does any one know about water dosing?
There are also several discussions on whether to use Wazine. One place it says use it first and one place says you don't need to do Wazine if you are doing Valbazen. Any decisive information. I gave mine pumpkin the other day but want to make sure we are done with the worms. Also does Valbazen kill any eggs? Thanks

The root problem with putting any wormer or medicine in water is not knowing if all the birds are getting an effective dose or if you're just creating resistant worms. Wazine only works for roundworms and kills quickly, whereas Valbazen kills many types of worms and kills slowly over a few days. This decreases the risk of death from dead worm overload. As far as I am aware, there are no dewormers that kill eggs. Although I've only had chickens for less than 2 years, I've had horses for almost 50 years and am pretty familiar with dewormers. I have no idea how you would deworm 100 chicks individually though. Others with large flock experience will respond I'm sure.

Ok now I am confused. with the Valbazen you have to dose individually? Can it be put in the water? I have about 100 chicks + 9 turkeys. I know there would be a difference in chicks vs Turkeys so planned on putting them in a different run, however the chks are appro. the same size. does any one know about water dosing?
There are also several discussions on whether to use Wazine. One place it says use it first and one place says you don't need to do Wazine if you are doing Valbazen. Any decisive information. I gave mine pumpkin the other day but want to make sure we are done with the worms. Also does Valbazen kill any eggs? Thanks
Valbazen has to be given directly by mouth. Some give it on a piece of bread, but it won't be soluble in water. Wazine only treats round worm, but not cecal, capillary, or tapeworm. Since Valbazen is safe and works over several days, it is not necessary to use Wazine at all. If you are looking at something to put in water, WormOut Gel might be a product you may want to check out. It contains praziquantel and oxfendazole. It is used in the water for 2 days by adding 24 ml to a gallon of water. It really has to be mixed well according to directions, but gets the same worms as Valbazen. Valbazen contains more doses for the money. Here are a couple of links for Wormout Gel:

http://www.foyspigeonsupplies.com/medications/worms-wormers/36-vetafarms-wormout-gel-100ml-cc
http://www.jedds.com/-strse-612/CANARIES/Detail.bok

Thank you all. I read that Valbazen does not kill round worm so does that mean they have to be treated for roundworm separately? And would that be where Wazine comes in? Thank you all so much.

@cks4me Orally is the best way, but I can understand why one might not want to do 100 birds that way. What some peafowl friends of mine do is mix their wormer in a mash, but this requires know approximately how much they weigh and doing a little math.To do it in the food you would need to get the weight of your flock in pounds, divide by 2.2, times 20, divide by 113.6. The answer to that would be the amount of Valbazen to put into the amount of mash that they would eat. Of course this will only be effective if each one eats the same amount. Those that don't won't get the proper amount of wormer.

Sample for a flock of 100 1/2 pound chicks
50 ÷ 2.2 x 20 ÷ 113.6 = 4ml

To dose individually it's the same thing, weight of bird in pounds, divide by 2.2, times 20, divide by 113.6. The answer to that would be the amount of Valbazen to give orally.

-Kathy

Last edited:
@cks4me You could try the same thing in water, but you would have to put the wormer in an amout of water that the 100 chicks would drink in one day. It will probably settle, so you'd have to mix it several times a day and even then there is a chance it will settle too quickly and then some of your chicks may get over medicated.

-Kathy

ha, frustrated newbie here. Yall I am so confused.. where do you get this Valaban????
I got the Safeguard liquid goat wormer( from TSC) that was suggested to me... and used it on 4 VERY VERY relucant hens so far,,,, got Wazine too but not opened yet,,,,,,
so should I use Wazine too. I saw some woms in Baby girls poo.. small ones.. lokked like worms to me, so i guess she was overloaded. the vet supp did a float test. but I dont see how it was accurate cause their was diahere on newspaper,, Plus I do not see how he got enough of it to tell,,, because I had fold layer of nrewspaper under while in vehicle when Baby Girl had explosive diaherre....... he gave her a Baytril injection... and sent one back with me .. I did not use cause she seemed better..

I am so chicken frustredrted with worming ,reluctant touch me not chicken,s and Roo Roo fighting drama... plus this comp taking so long to enter the keyboard typing...
sorry yall just tired and worn out too

Return the Wazine, no need for it. How many do you have left to worm? It will get easier, so just try to relax and take time doing it. Chickens don't like being held, but they will get over it. :D

-Kathy

SafeGuard liquid goat wormer is very good too, but won't treat tapeworm (which most chickens don't have, and it can be seen in the droppings easily.) SafeGuard as well as Valbazen should be give once than repeated in 10 days. Some give it (Safeguard)5 days in a row to make sure of getting capillaria worm. Some feed stores will sell Valbazen. . Here are some links for Valbazen:
http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=30e07949-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5
http://www.jefferspet.com/products/valbazen-broad-spectrum-dewormer
http://www.qcsupply.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Valbazen&gclid=CJ6ZjsPPosECFedzMgodCzgA_w

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom