Valbazen Dosage?

Pics

jgcalifornia

Songster
7 Years
Sep 18, 2012
Because Valbazen is not marketed for chickens, how does anyone know what dose is safe for them & what the proper dose is to give each hen?

If anyone has personal experience with giving this medication with no harm to the chickens, can you please
share the dosage you used, how often, etc.

Thank you so much!

Because Valbazen is not marketed for chickens, how does anyone know what dose is safe for them & what the proper dose is to give each hen?

If anyone has personal experience with giving this medication with no harm to the chickens, can you please
share the dosage you used, how often, etc.

Thank you so much!
The most effective dose for poultry is 20mg/kg, which is about 0.08 ml per pound of body weight. Give orally and repeat in 10 days.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...s-for-poultry-waterfowl-and-game-birds.75490/
-Kathy

Last edited:
I use valbazen often. It is the safest wormer on the market. Valbazen kills all known types of worms that chickens can get. It slowly kills worms over several days preventing toxic dead worm overload that other wormers cant. Dosage for standard size birds is 1/2cc given orally undiluted, 1/4cc for smaller birds. Repeat dosing in 10 days unless dealing with tapeworms.

I noticed your ID is jgcalifornia, but I don't know if that's because you have Jersey Giants or if it stands for something else, but if you do have them, the dose would be substantially higher for a JG rooster (13 pounds) and moderately higher for a hen (10 pounds).

If you want to calculate the dose based on 20mg/kg the formula is:

Weight of bird in pounds divided by 2.2 (that converts pounds to kg) times 20mg divided by 113.6

So for a 13 pound bird it would look like this:
13 / 2.2 x 20 / 113.6 = 1.04ml

And a 10 pound bird would be this:
10 / 2.2 x 20 / 113.6 = .8ml

-Kathy

Last edited:
Haha, no it stands for something else.
I have a Salmon Faverolle, a Black Cohin, Buff Cochin and a White Leghorn.

The White Leghorn weighs about 2 pounds and she was the most infested with the worms.
They went away after the Wazine about 2 weeks ago, but want to follow up with the Valbazen.

Thank you guys for all the info.

Can I ask you guys how you came to the dosage conclusions?

Haha, no it stands for something else.
I have a Salmon Faverolle, a Black Cohin, Buff Cochin and a White Leghorn.

The White Leghorn weighs about 2 pounds and she was the most infested with the worms.
They went away after the Wazine about 2 weeks ago, but want to follow up with the Valbazen.

Thank you guys for all the info.

Can I ask you guys how you came to the dosage conclusions?
I came to it several ways...

Some people might say that I'm a little OCD when it comes to weighing and dosing, lol, but sometimes I dose chicks as small as 30 grams (not with wormer, but other meds), 300 gram bantams, 1000 gram bantams, 3kg fowl, 6kg fowl or turkeys as big as 30kg.

Your Faverolle and Cochins are good examples, both can be quite a bit bigger than the average chicken and would require more of most medications for the best efficacy. My Cochins are small, so for them 0.5ml (56.8mg) would be fine.
big_smile.png

Disclaimer: I have not used Valbazen, but when I buy it, 20mg/kg is the amount I will use.

-Kathy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom