Valbezan vs Ivermectin wormer......I could use some advise.

dkosh

Songster
9 Years
Jul 6, 2010
Eastern MA
I've noticed a couple of hens that have died in my flock that are extremely thin. I'm suspecting worms but have not been able to see any. I have not seen any when I've checked the digestive tract when I've done necropsies. (I don't have the funds for a professional necropsy). Well I think I should treat my flock for worms but the only one I have is Wazine. You can't use the eggs for 2 weeks after treatment. I also have sheep and use Ivermectin for them but I've never used it on the hens. I've also found that Valbezan is a good broad spectrum wormer. I guess my questions would be...

Is there a waiting period to use the eggs after using either of these wormers?

Which one would be better to use?

Any information would be great.

litmisredneck

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 4, 2012
Pierson Fl
Wazine only treats roundworms. Each person likes different products. I used
Durvet Ivermectin Paste 1.87%, 6.08 g for my chickens. It was a pain in the butt to give it to them, but it worked well for me. I think it is just personal preference to be honest. I have not used Valbezan so I cant give ya any info on it. But I have heard good things about it. Hope this helps. Im not sure about the waiting times, as my hens quit laying about a month ago, but I know you have to re-worm them in about 10 days after the first worming. Someone else might be able to tell ya what waiting times you are looking at.

Last edited:

fishnet1971

'Birds Momma
10 Years
May 25, 2010
'Bird 'n the Fluffy Butts coop in Ohio
I have used them both for a really hard case of worms. I did use the Wazine first then hit with the Valbazene after the waiting period from the Wazine. Then redosed with Valbazene again in 10 days. I tried the Ivermectin a year ago, and really saw no difference. The Valbazene did work good, but because i had it in the soil in the run I kept getting them over and over. A vicious cycle. I had lost a few hens that got really thin and looked generally unhappy and did not know why. No one else got sick, etc. I did finally treat with Zimectin Gold for a worm i never knew I had and my flock did a total 180 within days. One is for roundworms, one is for tapeworms. Have you seen any in their feces? I saw the little buggers in their poop on the ground when i followed the girls around until the 'dropped one' for me.

I felt really bad because i thought the round worms were just undigested seed. they looked like broken up unshelled BOSS.

Here is a tapeworm segment.

Tapeworm segments

Roundworm eggs.

dkosh

Songster
9 Years
Jul 6, 2010
Eastern MA
No, don't appologize, I thank you for the pics and information. I'm going to follow a few around and see what I can see. Thanks for the link also. I'm going to look at it now.

MANNA-PRO

Top Bottom