Valentine's Day 1st Annual Hatch Along

Congrats on your chicks everyone!!

i will have some fuzzy butt pics to post as soon as i move the chicks out of the brooder. i was going to yesterday but Trexroo had a lockdown emergency...he had a LF Cochin hatching 4 days early. The chick was out this am when i left for work. He has some other eggs in there as well....i need to stop at TSC and get a light for the top of the brooder then i can move them.

I eggtopsied the 4 eggs thats were left...2 internally pipped one pipped directly into a large vein and bled out in the shell, the other was malpositioned and couldnt externally pip.....the one got pecked to death in shell as i said before....the last never fully internally pipped so i think it drowned as the membrane was over the nares still and only the very very tip of the beak was out/ if i had tried to assist sooner i would probly have 2 more chicks but i am happy with my hatch.

Last edited:
Congrats on your chicks everyone!!

i will have some fuzzy butt pics to post as soon as i move the chicks out of the brooder. i was going to yesterday but Trezroo had a lockdown emergency...he had a LF Cochin hatching 4 days early. The chick was out this am when i left for work. He has some other eggs in there as well....i need to stop at TSC and get a light for the top of the brooder then i can move them.

I eggtopsied the 4 eggs thats were left...2 internally pipped one pipped directly into a large vein and bled out in the shell, the other was malpositioned and couldnt externally pip.....the one got pecked to death in shell as i said before....the last never fully internally pipped so i think it drowned as the membrane was over the nares still and only the very very tip of the beak was out/ if i had tried to assist sooner i would probly have 2 more chicks but i am happy with my hatch.

wow! too much excitement
hide.gif

a few more photos of some of the babies that hatched. first a gray sizzle with a huge domed skull

and here are two sizzle showgirls which have gotten the name ying/yang - from the first photo

they already appear to be a couple of characters!

... one pipped directly into a large vein and bled out in the shell,
i have one like that-it seems weak i am hoping since the blood stopped and pooled inside that there will be enough yolk to repopulate its blood.it never pipped through and the spot was far down the bottom of the egg. i am leaving it mostly in the shell but have its head out so it can breathe better

10 are out so far, about 20 more to go I hope. The power was off for a bit last night so these are are really really late.
2 are culls though. I has all of its intestines hanging out. It had just a bit when it hatched but now almost all of them are outside and the chick is clearly weak.

One pic of some of my cuties. I was hoping to have sold more by now, but so far only 7 have found new homes. We won't be hatching again for a while. LOL My brooder is bursting at the seams!

Back
Top Bottom