Valentines Day Hatch-A-Long 2016

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by junebuggena, Jan 21, 2016.

1. 4stakes

4stakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2012
    Baileyville, IL
    We candled ours today. Looks like 4 out off 18 are fertile. We will check them before lockdown and get rid of the duds.

2. NTBugtraq

NTBugtraq ex-Surgeon General

Oh, wow, sorry, didn't mean to infer anything, Friday is great.

3. NTBugtraq

That's a surprisingly low fertility rate. Are you going to crack open the "duds" on lockdown? Its useful to do eggtopsies.

4. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    Oh, I just meant sorry I called you NT instead of Russ. It's all good. [​IMG]

5. TJordan

TJordan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2014
    Lower Alabama
    Ok. It looks like my eggs should hatch 2-3 days before Valentine's Day. I was a little off on my timing. [​IMG][​IMG] I'm being very good and staying away from my eggs for the next few days but man I want to candle and check the air cell progress because that humidity gauge is not working. [​IMG] I HATE COLD/FLU SEASON!

6. NTBugtraq

Weighing is a far more reliable test. 0.67% per day of original weight, that's your weight loss target.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  7. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2011

No it wasnt but doesnt matter anymore as the eggs werent fertile and there all dead now anyways.

8. RonoKT

RonoKT Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2016
    London UK
    I set eggs late on 25/01 (UK time), making day 21; 15/ 02. Maybe I'll have some early birds for Valentine's Day. I set 12 Light Sussex from two sources, both posted. I have just candled (day 7) there are 7 clearly developing, and I left a few probable clears in just in case.

9. TJordan

TJordan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2014
    Lower Alabama

I'm still not positive on the wieght thing. I am going to research but with my having a bad cold right now I'm not touching them. Last time I checked they looked good. Maybe a few non fertiles but I won't pull any until at least day 10 unless a clear blood ring (1so far on day 5). Any suggestions are gladly welcome. This is the first time my humidity gauge was off.

10. 4stakes

4stakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2012
    Baileyville, IL
    Yea, we collected the eggs when it was very cold here. Oh well we will see what happens. I don't think we will be doing any eggtopsies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by